With News, you can read articles that include rich multimedia, such as galleries, videos, and animations. You can explore topics from a variety of sources and add favorites to get the news that you want. You can also save articles to read later—online or offline.
News is available in the United States with iOS 9 or later, and in the United Kingdom and Australia with iOS 9.1 or later.
Discover For You
For You highlights Top Stories of the day, Trending Stories that are popular with other News readers, and Featured Stories selected by Apple editors. For You also shows you stories from the publications and topics that you add to Favorites.
Tap a story to open it and read more. Or tap a topic, like Entertainment or Sports, to see more stories for that specific topic.
Want quick access to News headlines? Check out the News app widget on your iOS device.
Love or dislike a topic group in For You
For You organizes stories into groups, like Top Stories, Trending Stories, and Featured Stories, and into topic groups, like Travel and Technology.
If you want to see more stories from a topic group, like Travel, tap next to the topic. Related stories will appear more often in For You and the topic is added to Favorites.
If you don’t want to see stories from a topic group, tap next to the topic. Fewer related stories appear in For You, and the topic is added to disliked channels and topics in Favorites.
To prevent a channel’s stories from appearing in For You, tap , then tap Dislike Channel.
Find more topics and channels
You can find more topics and channels in Explore and add them to your Favorites. Here's how:
- Tap Explore at the bottom of the screen.
- Browse categories, channels, and topics.
- When you find a channel or topic that you want to add, tap .
Looking for a specific topic or channel? Just tap Search at the bottom of the screen and enter what you're looking for. You can also add a topic or channel you find in Search to your Favorites. Just tap next to the search result.
Manage topics and channels in Favorites
Favorites shows you all of the channels and topics that you love and the ones you dislike.
To see topics or channels you dislike, tap Favorites, then scroll to the bottom and tap Show Disliked.
To remove a topic or channel from Favorites or from Disliked, tap Edit in the upper-right corner, then tap on the channel or topic and tap Done.
You can also sort Favorites by name, recently visited, or most visited. Just tap Favorites at the top of the screen, then choose how you want them sorted.
Love or share a story
Find a story that interests you and want to see similar stories in For You? Swipe left over the story or tap , then tap Love Story. Tap Share to send a link to the story from Messages, Mail, and more.
Dislike or report a story
If you want to stop seeing certain types of stories in For You, swipe right over the story or tap , then tap Dislike Story. To report a concern with a story, tap Report.
Your For You feed might not refresh immediately when you dislike a story.
In News, you can save stories to read later—online or offline. Just swipe left over the story or tap , then tap Save.
To find stories that you save, tap Saved at the bottom of the screen. To remove a saved article, tap Saved, then swipe left over the article and tap Don't Save.
You can also see your reading history in the Saved section. Just tap the History tab. If you want to clear your history, tap History, then tap Clear History.
If you want to clear recommendations based on your reading habits, tap History, then tap Clear Recommendations.
Only stories in the Saved section are available for offline reading.
Get notifications for news stories
News can send you notifications about breaking news and other important news stories. To add notifications, go to Favorites and tap. Then turn on the channels that you want to get notifications for. When you're finished, tap Done. Learn more about notifications on your iOS device.
Notifications aren't available for all channels.
Subscribe to your favorite publications in News
With News, you can read premium stories from select publishers. There are a few ways to see your subscriptions:
- Subscribe within News: You can purchase a subscription directly in News with the Apple ID you use for the iTunes Store.
- Unlock an existing subscription purchased from iTunes or the App Store: If any of your purchased subscriptions are also available in News, News will automatically grant you access.
- Authenticate an existing subscription purchased from the publisher: If you purchase a subscription directly from the publisher’s website, the publisher may allow you to sign in with your subscription account in News and read their premium stories in News.
You can find all of your News subscriptions in Favorites.
Subscriptions are only available in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia.
Report an issue
If an article is in the wrong section, doesn't display correctly, or contains offensive language or content, you can report it. In the article, tap the Share icon and tap Report a Concern.
- Learn more about News. Or sign up for News Publisher to distribute content on News. Whether you’re a blogger or part of a news organization, you can publish your content on News.
- View your subscriptions in the News app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Set up notifications to get alerts from your favorite apps on your iOS device.
- Use Widgets to get timely information from apps on your iOS device.