Discover new favorite books and grow your collection with Apple Books. You can use the Books app on your Mac with the latest version of macOS.
Explore the Books app
On your Mac, browse your Library using the buttons at the top of the Books window.
- Click All Books to view all of the books, book series, and PDFs that you buy from the Book Store or manually add to your library. To view or listen to your audiobooks, use iTunes.
- Click Collections to view just a certain media type. If you want to organize your books manually, click at the bottom of the left sidebar to create a new collection, then add books from your Library.
- Click Authors to view all of the authors of the content in your Library.
- Click Categories to view your Library by genre.
- Click List to view all of your content in list form. You can resize, add, remove, and move columns to customize this view.
Click Book Store in the upper-left corner to browse and buy books.
To read a sample of a book (if available), click any book, then click Get Sample below the book's price button. Wait for the sample to download, then click Read Sample to open the sample.
Double-click any book in your library to open it and start reading in a new window. If you close the book, Apple Books remembers where you stopped and starts there when you start reading again.
To go to the next page, move your pointer to the right side of the book and click or use the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Show and hide controls
While reading, move your pointer to the top of the book to view the controls.
- Click to bring your Library to the front.
- Click to open the book's table of contents.
- Click to view your highlights and notes.
- Click to change how the window looks. You can increase or decrease the font size; change to a different colored background, including a dark one; or change the book's font.
- Click to search within the book.
- Click to save your place. Click the next to to view your bookmarks.
Get more out of your book
Double-click any word in a book to open the Dictionary and Thesaurus.
Click the other options at the bottom of the Dictionary window to find related information, media, and more.
More ways to read
- You can read and buy books and listen to audiobooks in the Books app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- You can listen to audiobooks in iTunes on a Mac or PC.
- PDFs that you drag into the Books app on your Mac will also be available on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as long as you have iCloud Drive turned on.
- Read storybooks aloud with iBooks Storytime on Apple TV.
Download or delete content
You can download a book to your computer if you want to read it when you're not connected to Wi-Fi or the Internet.
You can also delete items from your devices.
To download a book, find the item in your Library, then click in the upper-right corner. If you don't see , the book is already downloaded to your device.
Delete books or PDFs
Control-click or right-click an item, choose Delete, then choose Remove Download.
If the item is part of a series, you might need to open the series first before you can delete it. You might also see an option to Delete Everywhere if it's a PDF or other item that you added to your Library from a source other than the Book Store.
You can also hide purchased books from your Library.
Change your settings
To sync Apple Books content across all of your devices, first turn on iCloud Drive: From the menu at the top of your computer screen, choose Apple () menu > System Preferences. Click iCloud and select iCloud Drive. Then, open the Books app and choose Books > Preferences from the menu at the top of your computer screen and select "Sync collections, bookmarks, and highlights across devices."
Choose Books > Preferences to change other Apple Books settings, such as Automatic Downloads and Parental Controls.