Put your iPhone in Ring/Silent mode
In Ring mode, you hear ringtones and alerts. In Silent mode, you don't, but your iPhone can still play sounds, like when you play music or videos.
Use Ring mode
To put your iPhone in Ring mode, move the switch so that orange isn't showing.
Use Silent mode
To put your iPhone in Silent mode, move the switch so that orange is showing.
Change ringtones, sounds, and vibrations
Change ringtone and alert volume with buttons
If you want to control your ringtone and alert volume separately from other apps, turn off Change with Buttons. Then you need to manually adjust your ringtone and alert volume in Settings > Sounds & Haptics or Settings > Sounds.
Choose when your device vibrates
- On iPhone 7 and later, go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. On earlier iPhone models, go to Settings > Sounds.
- You can choose if you want your iPhone to vibrate when set to Ring or Silent mode. If you turn off both settings, your iPhone won't vibrate.
Create a custom vibration
- Tap Create New Vibration.
- Tap the screen to create a pattern, then tap Stop.
- Tap Play to test your vibration.
- Tap Save and name your pattern. You can also tap Record to redo the custom vibration.