Maps makes things easier to find by giving you detailed information and suggestions based on your habits and calendar events.
Add your frequent locations
To add frequent locations, like your home or work:
- Open Maps, and tap in the top-right corner.
- Tap Report an Issue.
- Tap Home or Work and search for the address.
- Tap Add a Place or Address and type the address or tap a recent location.
- Tap Add. When you’re done tap Back.
Depending on your carrier and cellular data plan, cellular data charges might apply when using Maps.
- Open Maps and enter your destination in the Search bar.
- Tap Directions.
- Choose Drive, Walk, Transit, or Ride.
- Select the route that you prefer. Maps shows the fastest route first based on traffic conditions.
- When you're ready, tap . To see an overview of your route, tap "Tap for Overview" in the banner.
- To end navigation, tap , in the bottom-right corner. Then tap End Route. You can also ask Siri to "Stop Navigating" when you have Hands-Free turned on.
When you start moving, Maps updates its position to give you a better sense of direction. You can also use your finger to scroll ahead to see any obstructions on your route. And with iOS 11 or later, Maps helps you avoid missing a turn or an exit by suggesting the lane you should be in while driving. You can also see the speed limit of the road you're currently on.
To avoid tolls or highways, go to Settings > Maps > Driving & Navigation. Then tap the slider for Tolls or Highways.
Use the Route Card
You can use the Route Card to find nearby places, like gas stations, food, and more.
To add a detour to a trip:
- Tap while you're navigating to open the menu.
- Select an option, like Gas Stations. Maps will show you a list of nearby suggestions.
- Tap . Maps will add the detour to your original route.
- When you’re ready, tap the blue banner at the top of the screen to resume your route.
To get detailed turn-by-turn directions, swipe up on the menu while you're navigating and tap Details. You can also see your trip overview and adjust your Navigation Voice settings from the same menu bar.
Add a favorite transit line
You can add transit lines to your Favorites, and then see them in your Widget for timely information.
To add a transit line to your favorites:
- In Maps, tap , then select Transit.
- Zoom in on the transit line. Then tap the name or number of the transit line or station. You might also see a symbol for the transit line.
- When you see the Details card, scroll to the bottom and tap Add to Favorites.
You can also enter your destination, then tap Directions to see if there are any other types of transit that you can take.
Use a Marker to get directions between two locations
You can use markers to mark your current location. You can also drop a marker to show the distance from one location to another.
To mark a location:
- Tap in the upper-right corner of Maps.
- Then tap Mark My Location. You can also touch and hold your finger on a specific area to mark its location.
To get directions between two locations other than your current location:
- Tap a landmark icon or drop a marker.
- Tap Directions, then tap My Location and enter a different point of interest.
- To change your start point, tap the text bar. You can also tap to swap your start and end points.
- Tap Route. Maps will show you the fastest route.
To remove a marker, tap the marker, tap Edit Location, then tap Remove Marker.
Search for places nearby
You can use Nearby to search for things that are near your location, like food and entertainment.
To find nearby places:
- Open Maps.
- Tap the Search bar to see the categories in your area.
- Select a category, then choose a location.
- After you choose a location, tap Directions.
- Tap .
Find out if Nearby is available in your area.
Learn how to delete your recent destinations and search history from Maps, and edit your important locations.
Add or remove your favorite locations
To add a location to your Favorites:
- Select a location.
- Scroll down and tap Favorite .
To share, edit, or remove a favorite:
- Tap the Search bar.
- Scroll down and tap Favorites.
- Swipe left over the favorite, then tap Share or Remove.
Do more with Maps
- Turn-by-turn navigation works on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, iPad 2 or later, and iPad mini or later with cellular data capability.
- Flyover is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, iPad 2 or later, iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later). To use Flyover as you move your device through space, you need an iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, or iPad (5th generation or later) with iOS 11. Cellular data charges may apply.