Cellular data charges might apply when you use certain Maps features.
Choose your route
When choosing your route, you have the option to select an alternate route. Maps will display three different routes that are available to your destination. To select an alternate route, tap the timestamp next to the available route.
Use turn-by-turn navigation
To use turn-by-turn navigation, the start location must be your current location. Tap the car icon above the pin, select your preferred route, and tap start. While you're traveling to your destination, Maps will provide spoken directions and updates and estimate your time to arrival. If spoken directions aren't available, Maps will track your location and provide onscreen directions without announcements or updates. You can tap Overview in the top-right corner anytime to see your entire route.
Spoken directions are available in certain countries on iPhone 4s or later and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability.
See traffic information
To see real-time traffic information, tap , then tap Show Traffic. If there's traffic in the area, you'll see these colors:
- Orange dots indicate slow traffic
- Red dots indicate stop-and-go traffic.
You'll also see markers for road closures, construction, and accidents.
Get transit information from apps in the App Store
You can use apps in the App Store to get bus or train information in Maps:
- Tap .
- Add your starting and ending locations.
- Tap Apps to choose a transit app from your iOS device. If you don't have any transit apps, you'll be sent to the App Store where you can find some.
Use Pins to plan or mark your destinations
You can use pins to help you remember places or plan your route. You can also use them to mark a destination you want directions for. If a pin isn’t exactly where you want it, hover your finger over the area, then tap and hold down until the pin falls in the right location. To see more options for a location, tap in the Dropped Pin label.
Use gestures to interact with Maps
You can use multiple gestures to interact with Maps:
- Pinch to zoom zooms in and out of the Map window.
- Two-finger rotate rotates the Map window, allowing for a 360-degree view.
- Two-finger drag tilts the Map window, allowing you to fully interact with the 3D and Flyover features.
Change Maps settings
Tap Settings > Maps.
The voice volume setting is available in certain countries on cellular-enabled iOS devices.
Clear Recents in Maps
To clear your Recents in Maps, follow these steps:
- Open Maps.
- Tap within the address entry area.
- Tap Favorites.
- Tap Recents at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Clear in the upper left corner.
- Tap Clear All Recents at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Done in the upper right corner.
Get help with Maps
Get more help with Maps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.