iOS: Using Maps
Learn about the features of Maps for iOS.
Maps has many features, such as turn-by-turn navigation, Flyover, real-time traffic reporting, third-party transit app integration, and local search. To get started with Maps, search for a location or enter a contact from your address book. When the location is found, tap the car icon to provide a quick route.
Maps in iOS offers turn-by-turn navigation. To use turn-by-turn navigation, the start location must be Current Location. When en route to your destination, Maps will announce directions, provide en route updates, and even an estimated time to arrival. If in an area or on a device for which turn-by-turn directions are not available, Maps will track your location and provide onscreen directions without announcements or en route updates. At any time, tap Overview in the top-right corner of Maps to display your entire route.
Flyover offers photo-realistic, interactive 3D views when available. To use Flyover, tap the info button, then choose Hybrid or Satellite view. Where available, Flyover will display a high-resolution image of the area you are viewing. You can use gestures to modify your view.
When this icon appears, you will have the ability toggle between 2D or 3D viewing.
When this icon appears, you can use Flyover.
Maps offers real-time traffic information and continuously calculates your estimated time to arrival. To show traffic in Maps, tap the info button, then tap Show Traffic. Orange dots indicate slow traffic, while red dots indicate stop-and-go traffic. Maps will also provide markers to indicate road closures, construction, and accidents.
Maps in iOS allows you to choose your own third-party app from the App Store to provide transit information. To choose a transit option, tap . You can choose from the list of installed third-party transit apps, or you will be directed to download one from the App Store.
Maps uses multiple gestures to interact with the application:
- Pinch to zoom: Zooms in and out of the Map window
- Two-finger rotate: Rotates the Map window, allowing for a 360-degree view
- Two-finger drag: Tilts the Map window, allowing the user to fully interact with the 3D and Flyover features
Note: Rotate and drag gestures function only when using Overview.
When searching for a location, you can tap to see more information on the selected information. When available, Maps will provide contact information, customer reviews, and photos.
Settings for Maps
To modify your settings in Maps, tap Settings > Maps:
Note: The Navigation Voice Volume setting is available only on cellular-enabled iOS devices.
For additional information on using Maps on iOS devices, see the user guide.
If you're unable to find your location, try the following:
- Ensure that Location Services is enabled. Tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- For Maps to find and track your location, both Locations Services and Maps must be set to On.
- Restart your device.
- Verify that cellular data or Wi-Fi is enabled.
If traffic is not properly displayed, verify that the Traffic setting is enabled. Tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and confirm Traffic is set to On.
If Maps fails to display results, results are incorrect, locations are missing, or you experience any other issue while using Maps, you can report the issue:
- Tap Overview, then tap the info button.
- Tap Report a Problem.
- Choose the appropriate issue description and follow the onscreen instructions.
* Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4s or later and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Flyover is available only on iPhone 4s or later, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.