iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Play music on iPad
Use Now Playing in the Music app to show lyrics and play, pause, skip, shuffle, and repeat songs. You can also use Now Playing to view album art and choose what plays next in the queue.
Tap the player at the bottom right to show the Now Playing screen, where you can use these controls:
Play the current song.
Skip to the next song. Touch and hold to fast-forward through the current song.
Return to the song’s beginning. Tap again to play the previous song in an album or playlist. Touch and hold to rewind through the current song.
Tap to repeat an album or playlist. Double-tap to repeat a single song.
Tap to play your songs in random order. Tap again to turn off shuffle.
Hide the Now Playing Screen button.
Tap for more options.
Show time-synced lyrics (lyrics not available for all songs).
Stream music to Bluetooth or AirPlay-enabled devices.
Adjust the volume, see song details, and more
The Now Playing screen contains additional options for controlling and accessing music.
Adjust volume: Drag the volume slider.
You can also use the volume buttons on iPad.
Navigate to the artist, album, or playlist: Tap the artist name below the song title, then choose to go to the artist, album, or playlist.
Scrub to any point in a song: Drag the playhead.
See time-synced lyrics
Time-synced lyrics appear for many songs in Apple Music.
Tap the player to open Now Playing, then tap . Lyrics scroll in time with the music.
To hide lyrics, tap .
Tip: Tap a specific lyric—the first line of the chorus, for example—to go to that part of the song.
To see all of a song’s lyrics, tap , then tap View Full Lyrics.
Note: You need an Apple Music subscription to view lyrics.
In iPadOS 14.5 and later, you can share up to 150 characters of a song’s lyrics if time-synced lyrics are available.
Tap the player to open Now Playing.
Tap , then tap Share Lyrics.
You can also touch and hold a lyrics line to open the sharing screen.
Tap the first and last lyrics you want to share, then choose a sharing option.
Note: You need an Apple Music subscription to share lyrics.
Report a concern
To report a concern about time-synced lyrics, touch and hold a lyrics line, then tap Report a Concern at the bottom of the screen.
Get audio controls from the Lock Screen or when using another app
Open Control Center, then tap the audio card.
Stream music to Bluetooth or AirPlay-enabled devices
Tap the player to open Now Playing.
Tap , then choose a device.
Note: You can play the same music on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices, such as two or more HomePod speakers. You can also pair two sets of AirPods to one iPad and enjoy the same song or movie along with a friend. See Control audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices in this user guide and Share audio with AirPods and Beats in the AirPods User Guide.