iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Type with the onscreen keyboard on iPad
On iPad, you can use the onscreen keyboard to enter and edit text.
Enter text using the onscreen keyboard
In any app that allows text editing, open the onscreen keyboard by tapping a text field. You can pinch closed to shrink the keyboard, then tap individual keys to type, or use QuickPath to type by sliding from one letter to the next without lifting your finger (not available for all languages). To end a word, lift your finger. (If you tap after sliding to type a word, it deletes the whole word.)
You can drag the smaller keyboard from the bottom of the screen to move it wherever you want for easy one-handed typing.
To return to the full-size keyboard, pinch open. On the full-size keyboard, you tap keys to type.
While entering text, you can do any of the following on both the smaller keyboard and the full-size keyboard:
Type uppercase letters: Tap , or touch , then slide to a letter.
Turn on Caps Lock: Double-tap .
Quickly end a sentence with a period and a space: Double-tap the Space bar.
Correct spelling: Tap a misspelled word (underlined in red) to see suggested corrections, then tap a suggestion to replace the word, or type the correction.
Enter numbers, punctuation, or symbols: Tap or .
Undo the last edit: Swipe left with three fingers, then tap Undo at the top of the screen; or tap .
Redo the last edit: Swipe right with three fingers, then tap Redo at the top of the screen; or tap .
Hide the onscreen keyboard: Tap .
Enter emoji with the onscreen keyboard
Open the onscreen keyboard by tapping a text field.
Switch to the emoji keyboard by tapping or .
To search for an emoji, tap at the bottom left, then enter a commonly used word—such as “heart” or “smiley face”—in the search field above the keyboard.
To enter an emoji, tap it.
To see more choices, swipe through the emoji that appear.
To return to the regular keyboard, tap ABC in the lower-left corner.
Turn the onscreen keyboard into a trackpad
Touch and hold the Space bar with one finger until the keyboard turns light gray.
Move the insertion point by dragging around the keyboard.
To select text, touch and hold the keyboard with a second finger, then adjust the selection by moving the first finger around the keyboard.
See Select, cut, copy, and paste text for more ways to select text.
Use a split keyboard
You can type with a split keyboard that’s at the bottom of the screen, or undocked and in the middle of the screen.
To turn Split Keyboard on or off, touch and hold or , tap Keyboard Settings, then select Split Keyboard; or go to Settings > General > Keyboard, then turn Split Keyboard on or off.
When Split Keyboard is turned on in Settings, touch and hold , then do any of the following:
Use a split keyboard: Slide your finger to Split, then release. Or spread the keyboard apart from the middle using two fingers.
Move the keyboard to the middle of the screen: Slide your finger to Undock, then release.
Return to a full keyboard: Slide your finger to Dock and Merge, then release.
Return a full keyboard to the bottom of the screen: Slide your finger to Dock, then release.
Note: The Split Keyboard option is not available on iPad Pro 11-inch and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later).
Enter accented letters or other characters while typing
While typing, touch and hold the letter, number, or symbol on the keyboard that’s related to the character you want.
For example, to enter é, touch and hold the e key, then slide to choose a variant.
You can also do any of the following:
On a Thai keyboard: To choose native numbers, touch and hold the related Arabic number.
On a Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic keyboard: Tap a suggested character or candidate at the top of the keyboard to enter it, or swipe left to see more candidates.
Note: To view the full candidate list, tap the up arrow on the right. To return to the short list, tap the down arrow.
Set typing options
You can turn on special typing features—such as predictive text and auto-correction—that assist you when you type on iPad.
While typing using the onscreen keyboard, touch and hold or , tap Keyboard Settings, then turn typing features (below All Keyboards) on or off.