iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Zoom in on the iPad screen
In many apps, you can zoom in or out on specific items. For example, you can double-tap or pinch to look closer in Photos or expand webpage columns in Safari. You can also use the Zoom feature to magnify the screen no matter what you’re doing. You can magnify the entire screen (Full Screen Zoom), magnify part of the screen with a resizable lens (Window Zoom), or magnify a portion of the screen that stays in one place (Pinned Zoom). And, you can use Zoom together with VoiceOver.
Set up Zoom
Go to Settings > Accessibility > Zoom, then turn on Zoom.
Adjust any of the following:
Follow Focus: Track your selections, the text insertion point, and your typing.
Smart Typing: Switch to Window Zoom when a keyboard appears.
Keyboard Shortcuts: Control Zoom using shortcuts on an external keyboard.
Zoom Controller: Turn the controller on, set controller actions, and adjust the color and opacity.
Zoom Region: Choose Pinned Zoom, Full Screen Zoom, or Window Zoom.
Zoom Filter: Choose None, Inverted, Grayscale, Grayscale Inverted, or Low Light.
Maximum Zoom Level: Drag the slider to adjust the level.
If you use iPad with a pointer device, you can also set the following below Pointer Control:
Zoom Pan: Choose Continuous, Centered, or Edges to set how the screen image moves with the pointer.
Adjust Size with Zoom: Allow the pointer to scale with zoom.
To add Zoom to Accessibility Shortcut, go to Settings > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut, then tap Zoom.
Double-tap the screen with three fingers or use accessibility shortcuts to turn on Zoom.
To see more of the screen, do any of the following:
Adjust the magnification: Double-tap the screen with three fingers (without lifting your fingers after the second tap), then drag up or down. Or triple-tap with three fingers, then drag the Zoom Level slider.
Move the Zoom lens: (Window Zoom) Drag the handle at the bottom of the Zoom lens.
Pan to another area: (Full Screen Zoom) Drag the screen with three fingers.
To adjust the settings with the Zoom menu, triple-tap with three fingers, then adjust any of the following:
Choose Region: Choose Pinned Zoom, Full Screen Zoom, or Window Zoom.
Resize Lens: (Window Zoom) Tap Resize Lens, then drag any of the round handles that appear.
Choose Filter: Choose Inverted, Grayscale, Grayscale Inverted, or Low Light.
Show Controller: Show the Zoom Controller.
To use the Zoom Controller, do any of the following:
Show the Zoom menu: Tap the controller.
Zoom in or out: Double-tap the controller.
Pan: When zoomed in, drag the controller.
While using Zoom with an Apple external keyboard, the Zoom region follows the insertion point, keeping it in the center of the display. See Apple external keyboards for iPad.
To turn off Zoom, double-tap the screen with three fingers or use accessibility shortcuts.