iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Send and receive text messages on iPad
Use the Messages app to send and receive texts, photos, videos, and audio messages. You can also personalize your messages with animated effects, Memoji stickers, iMessage apps, and more.
Send a message
You can send a text message to one or more people.
Tap at the top of the screen to start a new message, or tap an existing message.
Enter the phone number, contact name, or Apple ID of each recipient. Or, tap , then choose contacts.
Tap the text field, type your message, then tap to send.
A blue send button indicates the message will be sent with iMessage; a green send button indicates the message will be sent with SMS/MMS, or your cellular service.
An alert appears if a message can’t be sent. Tap the alert to try sending the message again.
Tip: To see what time a message was sent or received, drag the message bubble to the left.
To view conversation details, tap the name or phone number at the top of the screen. You can tap the contact to edit the contact card, share your location, view attachments, leave a group conversation, and more.
Reply to a message
Ask Siri. Say something like:
“Send a message to Eliza saying how about tomorrow”
“Read my last message from Bob”
“Reply that’s great news”
Tip: When you wear AirPods (2nd generation and later), AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max, or other supported headphones, Siri can read your incoming messages, and you can speak a reply for Siri to send. See Listen and respond to messages in the AirPods User Guide.
Or do the following:
In the Messages list, tap the conversation that you want to reply to.
To search for contacts and content in conversations, pull down the Messages list and enter what you’re looking for in the search field. Or, choose from the suggested contacts, links, photos, and more.
Tap the text field, then type your message.
Tip: To replace text with emoji, tap or , then tap each highlighted word.
Tap to send your message.
You can quickly reply to messages with a Tapback expression (for example, a thumbs-up or a heart). Double-tap the message bubble that you want to respond to, then select a Tapback. You can also reply to a specific message in a conversation. See Reply to a specific message in a conversation.
Pin a conversation
You can pin specific conversations to the top of the Messages list so the people you contact most always come first in the list.
Do any of the following:
Swipe right on a conversation, then tap .
Touch and hold a conversation, then drag it to the top of the list.
Unpin a conversation
You can unpin specific conversations at the top of the Messages list.
Do any of the following:
Touch and hold a conversation, then drag the message to the bottom of the list.
Touch and hold a conversation, then tap .
Share your name and photo
In Messages, you can share your name and photo when you start or respond to a new message. Your photo can be a Memoji or custom image. When you open Messages for the first time, follow the instructions on your iPad to choose your name and photo.
To change your name, photo, or sharing options, open Messages, tap , tap Edit Name and Photo, then do any of the following:
Change your profile image: Tap Edit, then choose an option.
Change your name: Tap the text fields where your name appears.
Turn sharing on or off: Tap the button next to Name and Photo Sharing (green indicates that it’s on).
Change who can see your profile: Tap an option below Share Automatically (Name and Photo Sharing must be turned on).
Your Messages name and photo can also be used for your Apple ID and My Card in Contacts.
Switch from a Messages conversation to a FaceTime audio or video call
In a Messages conversation, you can start a FaceTime audio or video call with the person you’re chatting with.
In a Messages conversation, tap .
Tap FaceTime audio or FaceTime video.