iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Add music to iPad and listen offline
In the Music app , Apple Music subscribers can add and download songs and videos from Apple Music. You can stream music you add to iPad when you have an internet connection. To play music when you’re not connected to the internet, you must first download it.
Add music from Apple Music to your library
Do any of the following:
Touch and hold a song, album, playlist, or video, then tap Add to Library.
When viewing the contents of an album or playlist, tap near the top of the screen to add the album or playlist, or tap , then tap Add to Library to add individual songs.
On the Now Playing screen, tap , then tap Add to Library.
To delete music from the library, touch and hold the song, album, playlist, or music video, then tap Delete from Library.
Music you add to your iPad is also added to other devices if you’re signed in to the iTunes Store and App Store using the same Apple ID and have Sync Library turned on (go to Settings > Music, then turn on Sync Library).
Add music to a playlist
Touch and hold an album, playlist, song, or music video.
Tap Add to a Playlist, then choose a playlist.
Download music from Apple Music to your iPad
Download a song, album, or playlist: Touch and hold music you’ve added to your library, then tap Download.
After you’ve added a playlist or album, you can also tap at the top of the screen.
Note: You must turn on Sync Library to download music from Apple Music to your library (go to Settings > Music, then turn on Sync Library).
Always download music: Go to Settings > Music, then turn on Automatic Downloads.
Songs you add are automatically downloaded to iPad.
See download progress: In the Library menu, tap Downloaded Music, then tap Downloading.
Note: If the music you’re downloading is available in Dolby Atmos, appears next to the item, and you can download it either in Dolby Atmos or in stereo. To download music in Dolby Atmos when available, go to Settings > Music, then turn on Download in Dolby Atmos. See Listen to Dolby Atmos music on iPad.
Manage storage space
Free up music storage: If iPad is low on storage space, you can automatically remove downloaded music that you haven’t played in a while. Go to Settings > Music > Optimize Storage.
Remove music and videos stored on iPad: Touch and hold a song, album, playlist, music video, TV show, or movie that you’ve downloaded. Tap Remove, then tap Remove Downloads.
The item is removed from iPad, but not from iCloud Music Library.
Remove all songs or certain artists from iPad: Go to Settings > Music > Downloaded Music, tap Edit, then tap next to All Songs or the artists whose music you want to delete.
Choose cellular data options for Music
On iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models), go to Settings > Music, turn on Cellular Data, then do any of the following:
Turn Download over Cellular on or off.
Tap Audio Quality, turn on Lossless Audio, then tap Cellular Streaming to choose a setting (None, High Efficiency, High Quality, Lossless, or High-Resolution Lossless).
High Quality, Lossless, and High-Resolution Lossless use significantly more cellular data than High Efficiency, which may incur additional charges from your cellular carrier. Songs may also take longer to start playing.