Read a message
To open Messages, press the Digital Crown to see all your apps, then tap . You can also open Messages from the Dock.
If you get a notification about a message, raise your wrist to see it or swipe down on the watch face.
Reply to a message
To reply, scroll to the end of a message, then choose an option. With the latest versions of watchOS and iOS, you can send a preset reply, use Scribble, record a response, and more.
To use preset replies, scroll down to the end of the message, then tap a reply. You can also create your own replies in the Apple Watch app.
To send an emoji or an animated emoji, tap , swipe left or right, then turn the Digital Crown to see more options. Tap to send.
To send a handwritten message or sticker, tap , swipe right to your recent handwritten messages and stickers, then tap one. To use something different, use Messages on your iPhone.
To record a message, tap , say something, then tap Send or Done. If you want to send the message as text instead of audio, change your settings in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
Tap Scribble to write letters or words on the display and let your Apple Watch turn them into text. Learn about Scribble.
To show where you are on a map, firmly press the display while you're viewing a conversation, then tap Send Location.
To reply with a Digital Touch, tap , then you can send a sketch, tap, your heartbeat, and more.
To use a Tapback, double-tap a message, then tap to choose a Tapback, like thumbs-up or a heart.
Send a new message
You can ask Siri to create a message for you. For example, say "Hey Siri, tell Johnny I’ll be there in 20 minutes." Then lower your wrist to send. You can also use these steps:
- Press the Digital Crown to open the Home screen, then tap .
- Firmly press the display, then tap New Message.
- Tap Add Contact. You can tap a contact in the list that appears, tap to see more contacts, or tap to search for someone or dictate a phone number.
- Create your message.
Create a new preset reply
To customize a reply, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap the My Watch tab, and go to Messages > Default Replies. Then tap a default reply to change it. To remove a default reply or change the order, tap Edit.
Delete a conversation
Swipe left on the conversation, then tap Trash.
Get help if you can't send or receive messages
After each step, try to send or receive a message again:
- See if you can send and receive messages on your iPhone.
- Make sure that your Apple Watch can connect to your iPhone or Wi-Fi.
- If you have Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and it's connected to a cellular network, you can check the signal strength in Control Center. To send and receive SMS or MMS, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby.
- Make sure that you signed in with your Apple ID on your iPhone and Apple Watch. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, tap the My Watch tab, then tap General > Apple ID.
- If you see on your watch, turn off Do Not Disturb.
- Check the person's phone number or Apple ID to make sure that it's correct.
- Sign out of iMessage on your iPhone. If you're signed in with your Apple ID, tap it, then tap Sign Out.
- Turn iMessage off on your iPhone, then turn it back on again.
- Sign back in to iMessage on your iPhone.
- Restart your Apple Watch and iPhone.
- Unpair your Apple Watch, then pair it again.