iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Check your email
- Send email
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Reply to email
- Add attachments
- Work with attachments
- Save an email draft
- Search for email
- Organize your email
- Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad
- Use Hide My Email
- Flag and filter emails
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
Flag and filter emails on iPad
In the Mail app , you can flag and filter your emails and choose which mailboxes to receive notifications from.
Flag an email
You can flag an email to make it easier to find later. An email you flag remains in your Inbox, but also appears in the Flagged mailbox.
Open the email, tap , then tap Flag.
To choose a color for the flag, tap a dot.
To change or remove a flag, open the email, tap , then tap another color, or tap .
Flags you add to an email appear on that email in Mail on all your Apple devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID.
Create a Flagged mailbox
You can add a Flagged mailbox so all your flagged emails are easily accessible in one location.
Tap in the upper-left corner.
Tap Edit, then select Flagged.
Flag emails from your VIPs
Add important people to your VIP list, so their emails appear with a VIP flag and in the VIP mailbox.
While viewing an email, tap the name or email address of a person in the email.
Tap Add to VIP.
Get notified of replies to an email or thread
You can create mail notifications that let you know when you receive emails in your favorite mailboxes or from your VIPs.
When reading an email: Tap , then tap Notify Me.
When writing an email: Tap the Subject field, tap in the Subject field, then tap Notify Me.
To change how notifications appear, go to Settings > Notifications > Mail, then turn on Allow Notifications.
Mute email notifications
To reduce interruptions from busy email threads, you can mute notifications from messages in a conversation.
Open an email in the conversation.
Tap , then tap Mute.
To specify what you want done with emails you muted, go to Settings > Mail > Muted Thread Action, then select an option.
Block email from specified senders
To block a sender, tap their email address and select “Block this Contact.”
Manage junk mail
To move an email to the Junk folder, open it, tap , then tap Move to Junk.
You can use filters to temporarily show only certain messages—the ones that meet all the criteria you select in the filter list. For example, if you select “Unread” and “Only Mail with Attachments,” you see only unread emails that have attachments.
Tap in the bottom-left corner of a mailbox list.
Note: When reading an email on iPad in Portrait orientation, tap to display the email list with at the bottom.
Tap Filtered by, then select or turn on the criteria for emails you want to view.
Tap in the bottom-left corner to hide emails that don’t match the current filters. Tap again to turn the filter off.
To turn off all filters, tap . To turn off a specific filter, tap “Filtered by,” then deselect it.