iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Watch shows and movies in the Apple TV app on iPad
You can play shows and movies from the Apple TV app . Purchases, rentals, Apple TV+, and Apple TV channels play in the Apple TV app, while content from other providers plays in their video app.
Buy, rent, stream, or download shows and movies
Tap an item to see its details.
Choose any of the following options (not all options are available for all titles):
Watch Apple TV+ or Apple TV channels: Tap Play. If you’re not a current subscriber, tap Try It Free (available for eligible Apple ID accounts) or Subscribe.
Choose a different video app: If the title is available from multiple apps, scroll down to How To Watch, then choose an app.
Buy or rent: Confirm your selection, then complete the payment.
When you rent a movie, you have 30 days to start watching it. After you start watching the movie, you can play it as many times as you want for 48 hours, after which the rental period ends. When the rental period ends, the movie is deleted.
Download: Tap . You can find the downloaded item in your Library and watch it even when iPad isn’t connected to the internet.
Pre-order: Review the details, then tap Pre-Order.
When the pre-ordered item becomes available, your payment method is billed, and you receive an email notification. If you turned on automatic downloads, the item is automatically downloaded to your iPad.
Note: The availability of Apple Media Services varies by country or region. See the Apple Support article Availability of Apple Media Services.
Control playback in the Apple TV app
During playback, tap the screen to show the controls.
Skip backward 15 seconds; touch and hold to rewind
Skip forward 15 seconds; touch and hold to fast-forward
Change the playback speed, display subtitles and closed captions (if available), and more
Start Picture in Picture—you can continue to watch the video while you use another app
Change the aspect ratio to fit the screen
Change the aspect ratio to widescreen
Watch together with your friends on FaceTime
Using SharePlay in iPadOS 15.1, you can stream movies and TV shows while on a FaceTime call with friends. With synced playback and controls, you see and hear the reactions of others on the call. The volume automatically adjusts, so you can keep talking while you watch.
Note: Some apps that support SharePlay require a subscription. To watch a purchased movie or TV show together, all SharePlay participants must have purchased the item. Some movies and TV shows may not be available to SharePlay across different countries or regions. FaceTime, some FaceTime features, and other Apple services may not be available in all countries or regions.
Change the Apple TV app settings
Go to Settings > TV.
Choose streaming options:
Use Cellular Data: (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) Turn off to limit streaming to Wi-Fi connections.
Cellular: (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) Choose High Quality or Automatic.
Wi-Fi: Choose High Quality or Data Saver.
High Quality requires a faster internet connection and uses more data.
Choose download options:
Use Cellular Data: (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) Turn off to limit downloads to Wi-Fi connections.
Cellular: (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) Choose High Quality or Fast Downloads.
Wi-Fi: Choose High Quality or Fast Downloads.
High Quality results in slower downloads and uses more data.
Languages: Choose a language. Each added audio language increases the download size. To remove a language, swipe left on the language you want to remove, then tap Delete.
The default language is the primary language for your country or region. If you turned on Audio Descriptions in Settings > Accessibility, audio descriptions are also downloaded.
To update your recommendations and Up Next queue based on what you watch on your iPad, turn on Use Play History.
What you watch on your iPad affects your personalized recommendations and Up Next on all your devices where you’re signed in with your Apple ID.
Remove a download
Tap Library, then tap Downloaded.
Tap Edit, select the item you want to remove, then tap Delete.
Removing an item from iPad doesn’t delete it from your purchases in iCloud. You can download the item to iPad again later.