iPhone User Guide
- Supported models
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- What’s new in iOS 16
- Turn on and set up iPhone
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Use Dual SIM
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Multitask with Picture in Picture
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- View activities in the Dynamic Island
- Perform quick actions
- Search from the Home Screen or Lock Screen
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPhone
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPhone
- Change sounds and vibrations
- Personalize your iPhone Lock Screen
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Keep the iPhone display on longer
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPhone
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Adjust the shutter volume
- Adjust HDR camera settings
- Record videos
- Record ProRes videos
- Record video in Cinematic mode
- Change video recording settings
- Save camera settings
- Change advanced camera settings
- View, share, and print photos
- Use Live Text
- Scan a QR code
- Set up FaceTime
- Make and receive calls
- Create a FaceTime link
- Take a Live Photo
- Turn on Live Captions in a FaceTime call
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Hand off a FaceTime call to another device
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Intro to Fitness
- Track daily activity
- See your activity history, trends, and awards
- Connect a third-party workout app
- Customize activity notifications
- Share your activity
- Intro to Health
- Fill out your Health Details
- Monitor your walking steadiness
- Register as an organ donor
- Back up your Health data
- Check your email
- Set email notifications
- Search for email
- Organize email in mailboxes
- Change email settings
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Set up electric vehicle routing
- Get driving directions
- Get directions to your parked car
- Report traffic incidents in Maps on iPhone
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Delete recent directions
- Get rides
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Unsend and edit messages
- Keep track of messages and conversations
- Start a group conversation
- Add photos and videos
- Send and receive content
- Watch, listen, or play together using SharePlay
- Collaborate on projects
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Cash
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Follow your favorite teams with My Sports
- Listen to Apple News Today
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete or hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Cinematic mode videos
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Use photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos and videos in albums
- Duplicate and copy photos and videos
- Find and delete duplicate photos and videos
- Search for Photos
- Find and identify people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Use Live Text to interact with content in a photo or video
- Use Visual Look Up to identify objects in your photos
- Lift a subject from the photo background
- Watch memories
- Personalize your memories
- Manage memories and featured photos
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Browse the web
- Customize your Safari settings
- Change the layout
- Search for websites
- Bookmark favorite webpages
- Save pages to a Reading List
- Find links shared with you
- Annotate and save a webpage as a PDF
- Automatically fill in forms
- Get extensions
- Hide ads and distractions
- Keep cards and passes in Wallet
- Set up Apple Pay
- Use Apple Pay for contactless payments
- Use Apple Pay in apps, App Clips, and Safari
- Use Apple Cash
- Use Apple Card
- Manage payment cards and activity
- Pay for transit
- Use digital keys
- Use your driver’s license or state ID
- Use student ID cards
- Apple Account Card
- Add and use passes
- Manage passes
- Use COVID-19 vaccination cards
- Charging cable
- Power adapters
- MagSafe chargers and battery packs
- MagSafe cases and sleeves
- Qi-certified wireless chargers
- Apple Watch
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Share your internet connection
- Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
- Use iPhone as a webcam
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPhone and other devices
- Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable
- Intro to transferring files
- Transfer files with email, messages, or AirDrop
- Automatically keep files up to date with iCloud
- Transfer files with an external storage device
- Use a file server to share files between your iPhone and computer
- Share files with a cloud storage service
- Sync content or transfer files with the Finder or iTunes
- Intro to CarPlay
- Connect to CarPlay
- Use Siri
- Use your vehicle’s built-in controls
- Get turn-by-turn directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Change the map view
- Make phone calls
- Play music
- View your calendar
- Send and receive text messages
- Announce incoming text messages
- Play podcasts
- Play audiobooks
- Listen to news stories
- Control your home
- Use other apps with CarPlay
- Rearrange icons on CarPlay Home
- Change settings in CarPlay
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPhone using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with passkeys
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change weak or compromised passwords
- View your passwords and related information
- Share passkeys and passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passkeys and passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Automatically fill in SMS passcodes
- Sign in with fewer CAPTCHA challenges on iPhone
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Protect your web browsing with iCloud Private Relay
- Lockdown Mode
- Use a private network address
Send and receive messages on iPhone
Use the Messages app to send and receive texts, photos, videos, and audio messages.
Tip: Send a message from whichever device is closest to you, then use Handoff to continue the conversation elsewhere.
Send a message
You can send a text message to one or more people to start a conversation.
Tap at the top of the screen to start a new message, or tap an existing message.
Enter the phone number, contact name, or Apple ID of each recipient. Or, tap , then choose contacts.
Tap the text field, type your message, then tap to send.
A blue send button indicates the message will be sent with iMessage; a green send button indicates the message will be sent with SMS/MMS, or your cellular service.
An alert appears if a message can’t be sent. Tap the alert to try sending the message again.
Tip: Rather than typing every letter of your message, tap to dictate text.
To view conversation details, tap the name or phone number at the top of the screen. You can tap the contact to edit the contact card, share your location, view attachments, leave a group conversation, and more.
To return to the Messages list from a conversation, tap or swipe from the left edge.
Continue a conversation
When someone sends you a message for the first time, a conversation opens. If you’ve interacted with that person in Messages before, their message is added to the end of the earlier conversation.
In the Messages list, tap the conversation that you want to participate in.
To look for contacts and content in conversations, tap the search field above the Messages lists. (You may need to swipe down to reveal the search field.) The search field also opens suggested contacts, links, photos, and more.
Tap the text field, then type your message. To replace text with emoji, tap or , then tap each highlighted word.
Tap to send your message.
To let your recipients know when you read their messages, go to Settings > Messages, then turn on Send Read Receipts.
Tip: To see what time a message was sent or received, drag the message bubble to the left.
Reply to a specific message in a conversation
You can respond to a specific message inline in group or individual conversations to improve clarity and help keep the conversation organized.
In a conversation, touch and hold a message, then tap Reply .
Write your response, then tap .
Tip: You can quickly reply to messages with a Tapback expression (for example, a thumbs-up or a heart). Double-tap the message bubble that you want to respond to, then select a Tapback.
People can respond inline as long as they’re using an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and have iMessage turned on.
Use Siri to send and receive messages
Siri can read your incoming messages out loud to you, and you can speak a reply for Siri to send. Learn how to use Siri.
Siri: Say something like:
“Send a message to Eliza saying how about tomorrow”
“Read my last message from Bob”
“Reply that’s great news”
Tip: You can also use Siri to listen and respond to messages while wearing AirPods (2nd generation and later). To learn more, see Listen and respond to messages with AirPods.
You can set up Siri to automatically send a message after it has been read back to you. If you want to skip the confirmation step when sending messages, go to Settings > Siri & Search > Automatically Send Messages.
WARNING: For important information about avoiding distractions while driving, see Important safety information for iPhone.
Send a message to a business
Some businesses allow you to communicate with them directly to ask questions, resolve issues, get advice on what to buy, make purchases with Apple Pay, and more.
Search for the business you want to communicate with using Maps, Safari, Search, or Siri.
Start a conversation by tapping a messaging link in the search results—the appearance of the link varies, and might look like a button, a text link, or the company logo.
You can send a message to some businesses from their website or app. See the Apple Support article How to use Messages for Business.
Note: Messages sent to participating businesses appear in dark gray to distinguish them from messages sent using iMessage (in blue) and SMS/MMS messages (in green).
Send a recorded audio message
Instead of writing a text message, you can quickly record an audio message that can be played right in the Messages conversation.
Audio recording is an iMessage app. In a Messages conversation, tap to show the app icons below the text field, tap , then do one of the following:
To record and review before sending: Tap to record, then tap it again to stop recording. Tap to review, then tap to send the recording or to cancel.
To record a message and send it immediately: Hold .
Note: Your audio message disappears from your conversation two minutes after you send it, unless you tap Keep. Recipients can still play your recording. To always keep audio messages, go to Settings > Messages > Expire (below Audio Messages), then tap Never.
To make an audio or video call instead of sending a message, you can switch to FaceTime . In a Messages conversation, tap .
Listen or reply to a recorded audio message
Raise iPhone to your ear to play incoming audio messages.
Raise it again to reply.
To turn this feature on or off, go to Settings > Messages, then turn off Raise to Listen.
Forward text messages to other devices
When you send a message to someone who uses a phone other than an iPhone, your message is sent as an SMS message. You can set up your iPhone so that when you send or receive an SMS message, it appears on your other devices.
Go to Settings > Messages.
Tap Text Message Forwarding, then turn on any devices you want to include.
If you’re not using two-factor authentication, a six-digit activation code appears on your other device; enter this code on your iPhone, then tap Allow.
For more information, see the Apple Support article How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac.