Read a message
To open Messages, press the Digital Crown to see all your apps, then tap the Messages app . You can also open Messages from the Dock.
If you get a notification about a message, raise your wrist to see it or swipe down on the watch face.
Reply to a message
To reply, scroll to the end of a message, then choose an option. With the latest versions of watchOS and iOS, you can send a preset reply, use Scribble, record a response, and more.
To use preset replies, scroll down to the end of the message, then tap a reply. You can also create your own replies.
To send an emoji, tap the Emoji button , then turn the Digital Crown to see more options. Tap to send.
To send a handwritten message or sticker, tap the Emoji button , scroll down, then tap Stickers. To use a different message or sticker, use Messages on your iPhone.
To record a message, tap the Microphone button , say something, then tap Send or Done. If you want to send the message as text instead of audio, change your settings in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
Tap the Scribble button to write letters or words on the display and let your Apple Watch turn them into text. Learn about Scribble.
To show where you are on a map, firmly press the display while you're viewing a conversation, then tap Send Location.
To reply with a Digital Touch, tap the Digital Touch button , then you can send a sketch, tap, your heartbeat, and more.
To use a Tapback, double-tap a message, then tap to choose a Tapback, like thumbs-up or a heart.
Send a new message
You can ask Siri to create a message for you. For example, ask Siri to "Tell Johnny I’ll be there in 20 minutes." Then lower your wrist to send. You can also use these steps:
- Press the Digital Crown to open the Home screen, then tap the Messages app .
- Firmly press the display, then tap New Message.
- Tap Add Contact. You can tap a contact in the list that appears, tap the Plus button to see more contacts, tap the Microphone button to search for someone or dictate a phone number, or tap the Keypad button to enter a phone number.
- Create your message.
Create a new preset reply
To customize a reply:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap the My Watch tab.
- Go to Messages > Default Replies.
- Tap a default reply to change it.
To remove a default reply or change the order, tap Edit.
Delete a conversation
- Swipe left on the conversation.*
- Tap the Trash button .
- Tap Trash again.
* If you delete a message on your Apple Watch, the message isn't deleted on your iPhone.
Learn what to do if you can't send and receive messages.