You need Bluetooth headphones or speakers to listen to music or other audio on your Apple Watch. Learn how to pair Bluetooth devices with your watch.
If you're connected to Wi-Fi or cellular on your Apple Watch Series 3 or later, you can stream Apple Music and Apple Podcasts even when you’re away from your iPhone. You can also sync music and podcasts from your iPhone to your watch. Then you can play the content on your watch without your iPhone nearby, even if your watch is not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular.
Learn more about how your watch uses Wi-Fi and cellular.
Listen to Apple Music
If you’re an Apple Music subscriber, you can play any song in the Apple Music catalog. If you're not an Apple Music subscriber, you can play your songs, albums, and playlists. Learn more about how to use the Music app.
To stream music, open the Music app and tap the music that you want. Or if you want to listen to radio, open the Radio app.
How to sync music to your Apple Watch
- Set your Apple Watch on its charger. Make sure that it's charging and that your iPhone is within range of your watch.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app, then tap Bluetooth. Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab.
- Scroll to Music and tap it.
- Tap Add Music, then find the song or album that you want to sync.
- Tap the Add button next to the music that you want to sync. If you can't add specific albums or playlists, try downloading them to your iPhone before you sync with your watch.
How to remove music from your Apple Watch
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll to Music and tap it, then tap Edit in the upper-right corner. If you don’t see Edit, no music is synced to your watch.
- Under Playlists & Albums, tap the delete button next to any music that you want to remove, then tap Delete. You can also turn off any automatically added playlists that you don't want on your watch.
How to sync podcasts to your Apple Watch
When you charge your Apple Watch, podcasts that you follow automatically sync to your Apple Watch. But you can also sync podcasts to your Apple Watch manually.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app, then tap Podcasts. Make sure that Sync Library is turned on.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Go to the My Watch tab, scroll to Podcasts, then tap it.
- Under Add Episodes From, tap Custom.
- Tap the slider for the show that you want. If you don't see the show that you want, open the Podcasts app on your iPhone, find the show, then tap the Add button .
Episodes are automatically removed from your Apple Watch after you listen to them.
Learn more about how to use the Podcasts app.
Do more with music and podcasts on your Apple Watch
You can start a specific playlist every time you begin a workout. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap My Watch. Tap Workout, then tap Workout Playlist.*
*Workout playlists are available on Apple Watch Series 1 or later.
Apple Music and Apple Podcasts availability might vary by country or region. Learn what's available in your country or region.