iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Check your email
- Send email
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Reply to email
- Add attachments
- Work with attachments
- Save an email draft
- Search for email
- Organize your email
- Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad
- Use Hide My Email
- Flag and filter emails
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
View and modify files and folders in Files on iPad
In the Files app , view and modify your documents, images, and other files.
Browse and open files and folders
Tap Browse at the bottom of the screen, then tap an item in the Browse sidebar.
If you don’t see the Browse sidebar, tap Browse again.
To view recently opened files, tap Recents at the bottom of the screen.
To open a file, location, or folder, tap it.
Note: If you haven’t installed the app that created a file, a preview of the file opens in Quick Look.
For information about marking folders as favorites or adding tags, see Organize files and folders in Files on iPad.
Modify and rearrange documents
When viewing a file in a supported document format, you can modify and rearrange the document’s contents using the Files app.
Open a document.
Tap , then chose any of the following:
Rotate Left: Rotate the highlighted page left.
Rotate Right: Rotate the highlighted page right.
Insert Blank Page: Insert a blank page after the highlighted page.
Insert from File: Insert pages from a file after the highlighted page.
Scan Pages: Insert pages from a scanned document after the highlighted page.
Delete: Delete the highlighted page.
To rearrange a document, touch and hold a highlighted page and drag it to a new location.
To mark up a document, tap .
Note: Not all document formats are supported by the Files app.
Change how files and folders are sorted
From an open location or folder, drag down from the center of the screen, then tap Name, Date, Size, Kind, or Tags at the top of the screen.
Change to icon, list, or column view
From an open location or folder, drag down from the center of the screen, then do one of the following:
View as icons: Tap .
View as a list: Tap .
View as columns: Tap .
To look deeper into a folder hierarchy from the column view, tap an item in the rightmost column, then swipe left. To see a preview of a file along with its metadata (such as its kind and size), tap the file. (If the preview doesn’t appear in the rightmost column, swipe left.) To view the file and perform various actions on it without leaving Files, tap Open under the file preview.
Find a specific file or folder
Enter a filename, folder name, or document type in the search field.
When you search, you have these options:
Focus the scope of your search: Below the search field, tap Recents or the name of the location or tag.
Hide the keyboard and see more results on the screen: Tap .
Start a new search: Tap in the search field.
Open a result: Tap it.
Rearrange the Browse sidebar
Tap at the top of the sidebar, tap Edit, then do any of the following:
Hide a location: Turn the location off.
Delete a tag and remove it from all items: Tap next to the tag. (See Tag a file or folder.)
Remove an item from the Favorites list: Tap next to the item. (See Mark a folder as a favorite.)
Change the order of an item: Touch and hold , then drag it to a new position.