iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Set up cellular service on iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models)
If you have a Wi-Fi + Cellular model, you can sign up for a cellular data plan. This helps you stay connected to the internet when you’re away from a Wi-Fi network. Contact your carrier to set up a cellular data plan.
The cellular connection requires a SIM from your carrier. iPad supports the following types of SIM:
eSIM (on iPad models that support eSIM; not available in all countries or regions)
Embedded Apple SIM or Apple SIM card
Physical SIM from your carrier
Set up your cellular plan with eSIM
On models that support eSIM, you can activate the cellular service from your iPad. You may also be able to travel abroad with iPad and sign up for cellular service with a local carrier in the country or region you’re visiting. This option isn’t available in all countries or regions, and not all carriers are supported.
Go to Settings > Cellular Data.
Do one of the following:
To set up the first cellular plan on your iPad, select a carrier, then follow the onscreen instructions.
To add another cellular plan to your iPad, tap Add a New Plan.
To scan a QR code provided by your carrier, tap Other. Position iPad so that the QR code provided by your carrier appears in the frame, or enter the details manually. You may be asked to enter a confirmation code provided by your carrier.
Alternatively, you can activate your cellular plan through your carrier’s app (if supported). Go to the App Store, download your carrier’s app, then use the app to purchase a cellular plan.
You can store more than one eSIM on your iPad, but you can use only one eSIM at a time. To switch to another eSIM, go to Settings > Cellular Data, then tap the plan you want to use (below Cellular Plans).
Set up your cellular plan with an embedded Apple SIM or Apple SIM card
On models with an embedded Apple SIM or Apple SIM card, you can activate the cellular service from your iPad. You may also be able to travel abroad with iPad and sign up for cellular service with a local carrier in the country or region you’re visiting. This option isn’t available in all countries or regions, and not all carriers are supported.
Go to Settings > Cellular Data.
Tap Add a New Plan, then follow the onscreen instructions. You can choose a carrier and a plan, or you can add your iPad to an existing plan.
See the Apple Support article Set up cellular data service on your Wi-Fi + Cellular model iPad, or contact your carrier.
Install a SIM
You can install an Apple SIM card or a SIM provided by a carrier.
Insert a paper clip or SIM eject tool (not included) into the small hole of the SIM tray, then push in toward iPad to eject the tray.
Note: The shape and orientation of the SIM tray depend on the iPad model and your country or region.
Remove the tray from iPad.
Place the SIM in the tray. The angled corner determines the correct orientation.
Insert the tray back into iPad.
If you previously set up a PIN on the SIM, carefully enter the PIN when prompted.
WARNING: Never try to guess a SIM PIN. An incorrect guess can permanently lock your SIM, and you won’t be able to use cellular data through your carrier until you get a new SIM. See the Apple Support article Use a SIM PIN for your iPhone or iPad.
Cellular data requires a wireless data plan. If you’re using a third-party SIM, contact your carrier to set up service.
Manage your cellular data service
Go to Settings > Cellular Data.
Do any of the following:
Restrict all data to Wi-Fi: Turn off Cellular Data.
Turn on or off LTE and roaming: Tap Cellular Data Options.
Turn on Personal Hotspot: Tap Set Up Personal Hotspot (available from certain carriers), then follow the onscreen instructions.
Manage your cellular account: Tap Manage [account name] or Carrier Services.
For information about managing your cellular data usage, see View or change cellular data settings on iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models).
Important: When using cellular services through GSM networks, you need an eSIM, embedded Apple SIM, Apple SIM card, or third-party SIM. When using cellular services through CDMA networks, you need an embedded Apple SIM, Apple SIM card, or third-party SIM. Your iPad is subject to your wireless service provider’s policies, which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after the conclusion of any required minimum service contract. Contact your wireless service provider for more details. The availability of cellular capabilities depends on the wireless network, your iPad model, and your location.