iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Get started with News on iPad
The News app collects all the stories you want to read, from your favorite sources, about the topics that interest you most. To personalize News, you can choose from a selection of publications (called channels) and topics such as Entertainment, Food, and Science.
You need a Wi-Fi or cellular connection to use News.
The more you read, the better News understands your interests. Siri learns what’s important to you and suggests stories you might like. You can also receive notifications about important stories from channels you follow.
You can also subscribe to Apple News+, which includes hundreds of magazines, popular newspapers, and premium digital publishers.
Note: Apple News and Apple News+ aren’t available in all countries or regions.
Personalize your news
When you follow a channel or topic, related stories appear more often in the Today feed, and the channel or topic appears below Channels & Topics in the sidebar.
Open News for the first time, then, in the sidebar, tap for channels or topics you want to follow.
If there’s a channel or topic that you don’t want to appear in your feed, touch and hold it, then choose Block Channel, Block Topic, or Stop Suggesting.
When you block a channel or topic, its stories don’t appear in the Today feed and widgets. To see the channels and topics you’ve blocked, tap Blocked Channels & Topics (near the bottom of the sidebar below Manage).
Note: When you browse Top Stories and other locations that feature stories curated by Apple News editors, placeholders may be shown for stories from channels you blocked. To read a story from a blocked channel, tap Show Story Anyway.
Tap Discover Channels at the bottom of the sidebar, then tap for each channel you want to follow.
To stop following a channel or topic, swipe it to the left, then tap Unfollow.
To easily follow specific channels and topics, tap Search in the sidebar, enter the channel or topic’s name in the search field, then tap in the results below.
Some channels you follow may send notifications about important stories.
At the bottom of the sidebar, tap Notifications & Email below Manage.
Turn on notifications for your preferred channels.
If you subscribe to Apple News+, you can get notifications when new issues are available.
Receive Apple News newsletters
You can choose to receive newsletters in your email inbox from Apple News editors highlighting top stories. Newsletters can be personalized based on your interests.
Swipe to the bottom of the sidebar, then tap Notifications & Email.
Swipe to the bottom of the window, then turn on Apple News Newsletter.
The newsletter for Apple News+ subscribers can contain new issues of magazines you follow. When you tap an issue cover in the newsletter, that issue opens in the News app. To see new issues in the newsletter, turn on Include Issues in Newsletter.
To stop receiving newsletters, return to the Notifications & Email window, then turn off Apple News Newsletter.
Note: Personalized newsletters and the option to include issues aren’t available in all countries or regions.
See stories only from the channels you follow
Go to Settings > News, turn on Restrict Stories in Today, then confirm your choice.
Note: Restricting stories significantly limits the variety of stories that appear in the Today feed and all other feeds. For example, if you restrict stories and follow only one entertainment-related channel, your Entertainment topic feed will contain stories only from that channel. When you restrict stories, you don’t see Top Stories and Trending Stories.