iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Check your email
- Send email
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Reply to email
- Add attachments
- Work with attachments
- Save an email draft
- Search for email
- Organize your email
- Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad
- Use Hide My Email
- Flag and filter emails
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
Trackpad gestures for iPad
You can use Magic Trackpad, including Magic Trackpad 2 and the trackpad built into Magic Keyboard for iPad, to open apps, go to the Home Screen, open Slide Over, and more (Magic Trackpad and Magic Keyboard for iPad sold separately).
Trackpad gestures for Magic Trackpad, Magic Trackpad 2, and Magic Keyboard for iPad
Click. Press with one finger until you feel a click.
Click and hold. Press and hold with one finger.
Drag. Click and hold an item, then slide your finger across the trackpad to move it.
Wake iPad. Click the trackpad.
Or, if you’re using an external keyboard, press any key.
Open the Dock. Use one finger to swipe the pointer past the bottom of the screen.
Go Home. Use one finger to swipe the pointer past the bottom of the screen. After the Dock appears, swipe the pointer past the bottom of the screen again.
Alternatively, click the bar at the bottom of the screen (on an iPad with Face ID).
View Slide Over. Use one finger to swipe the pointer past the right edge of the screen. To hide Slide Over, swipe right again.
Open Control Center. Use one finger to move the pointer to select the status icons at the top right, then click.
Or, select the status icons at the top right, then swipe up with one finger.
Open Notification Center. Use one finger to move the pointer to select the status icons at the top left, then click.
Or, use one finger to move the pointer past the top of the screen near the middle.
Additional gestures for Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard for iPad
Scroll up or down. Swipe two fingers up or down.
Scroll left or right. Swipe two fingers left or right.
Zoom. Place two fingers near each other. Pinch open to zoom in, or pinch closed to zoom out.
Go Home. Swipe up with three fingers.
Open the App Switcher. Swipe up with three fingers, pausing before you lift your fingers.
Or, pinch four fingers together, pausing before you lift your fingers.
Switch between open apps. Swipe left or right with three fingers.
Open Today View. When the Home Screen or the Lock Screen is visible, use two fingers to swipe right.
Open search from the Home Screen. Swipe down with two fingers.
Secondary click. Click with two fingers to show the quick actions menu for items like icons on the Home Screen, messages in a mailbox, and the Camera button in Control Center.
Or, if you’re using an external keyboard, you can press the Control key while you click the trackpad.