iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Check your email
- Send email
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Reply to email
- Add attachments
- Work with attachments
- Save an email draft
- Search for email
- Organize your email
- Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad
- Use Hide My Email
- Flag and filter emails
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
Send and receive photos, videos, and audio messages on iPad
In the Messages app , you can send messages with photos, videos, and audio using the iMessage or SMS/MMS service (WiFi + Cellular models). You can also share, save, or print attachments. Your carrier may set size limits for attachments; iPad may compress photo and video attachments when necessary.
Send a photo or video
In Messages, do any of the following while writing a message:
Take a photo within Messages: Tap , frame the shot in the viewfinder, then tap .
Take a video within Messages: Tap , choose Video mode, then tap .
Choose an existing photo or video: Tap to see recent shots, then swipe up to search or browse through all photos and albums. If multiple photos or videos are selected, a number indicates in which order they’ll be sent.
Tap to send your message or to cancel.
If you receive multiple photos at the same time, they’re automatically grouped into a collage (two to three photos) or a photo stack (four or more photos). You can swipe through a photo stack to view, reply, or interact with each photo individually.
To save a photo, tap the next to the photo or collection of photos.
Note: The Messages app can detect nudity in photos on your child’s device before the photos are sent or received, and provide resources to help your child handle the situation (U.S. only; iPadOS 15.2 or later). Apple doesn’t get access to the photos as a result of this feature. For more information, see Turn communication safety for messages on or off on a family member’s device.
Mark up or edit a photo
You can mark up or edit a photo before you send it in a Messages conversation.
Tap in the app drawer, then choose a photo.
Tap the photo in the message bubble, then do any of the following:
Tap Done, add a message, then tap to send the photo, or tap to remove the photo from the message bubble.
Add camera effects to a photo or video
On supported models, when you take a photo or video in a conversation, you can add camera effects to it—such as filters, stickers, labels, and shapes.
Tap , then choose Photo or Video mode.
Tap , then do any of the following:
Tap , then choose a filter to apply to your picture.
Tap to add a text label, or to add a shape.
Tap to add a Memoji, or to add an Emoji sticker.
Tap to close the effect window.
Tap to take a photo or to record video.
Tap Done to add the photo or video to the message bubble, where you can add a message, or tap to send the photo or video directly.
Send an audio message
In a conversation, touch and hold to record an audio message.
Tap to listen to your message before you send it.
Tap to send the message or to cancel.
Note: To save space, iPad automatically deletes audio messages two minutes after you listen to them, unless you tap Keep. To always keep audio messages, go to Settings > Messages > Expire (below Audio Messages), then tap Never.
Share, save, print, copy, or delete a message or attachment
In a conversation, do any of the following with attachments:
Share, save, or print an attachment: Tap the attachment, then tap .
Copy an attachment: Touch and hold the attachment, then tap Copy.
Share items from another app: In the other app, tap Share or , then tap Messages.
Forward a message or attachment: Touch and hold a message or attachment, tap More, select additional items if desired, then tap .
Delete a message or attachment: Touch and hold a message or attachment, tap More, select additional items if desired, then tap .
Note: Attachments you send over iMessage (such as photos or videos) may be uploaded to Apple and encrypted so that no one but the sender and receiver can access them. To improve performance, your device may automatically upload attachments to Apple while you are composing an iMessage. If your message isn’t sent, the attachments are deleted from the server after several days.