macOS User Guide
- Connect to the internet
- Browse the web
- Adjust the volume
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- View and edit files with Quick Look
- Jot a Quick Note
- Set up Screen Time for yourself
- Set up a Focus to stay on task
- Edit photos and videos in Photos
- Use Visual Look Up for your photos
- Get directions in Maps
- Create a recording in Voice Memos
- Use trackpad and mouse gestures
- Use the Touch Bar
- Use Touch ID
- Use keyboard shortcuts
- Get macOS updates
- What is Family Sharing?
- Set up Family Sharing
- Set up other users on your Mac
- Set up Screen Time for a child
- Share purchases with your family
- Make a FaceTime call
- Send text messages
- Share a calendar with your family
- Find what people shared with you
- Find your family and friends
- Play games with your friends
- Use Continuity to work across Apple devices
- Stream audio and video with AirPlay
- Use your iPad as a second display
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Insert photos and documents from iPhone or iPad
- Insert sketches from iPhone or iPad
- Copy and paste between devices
- Use Apple Watch to unlock your Mac
- Make and receive phone calls on your Mac
- Send files between devices with AirDrop
- Sync music, books, and more between devices
- Manage cookies and other website data in Safari
- Use Private Browsing in Safari
- View privacy reports in Safari
- Understand passwords
- Reset your Mac login password
- Create and autofill strong passwords
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Set up your Mac to be secure
- Use Mail Privacy Protection
- Guard your privacy
- Pay with Apple Pay in Safari
- Use Sign in with Apple for apps and websites
- Protect your Mac from malware
- Control access to the camera
- Find a missing device
- Change your display’s brightness
- Connect a wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad
- Connect other wireless devices
- Connect a display, TV, or projector
- Add a printer
- Use the built-in camera
- Use AirPods with your Mac
- Save energy on your Mac
- Optimize storage space
- Burn CDs and DVDs
- Control accessories in your home
- Run Windows on your Mac
- Resources for your Mac
- Resources for your Apple devices
Connect your Mac to the internet using Wi-Fi
If you’re within range of a Wi-Fi network, you can try to join it.
Join a public Wi-Fi network
On your Mac, click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar, then choose the network you want to join.
If you don’t see the network you want to join, click Other Networks to display nearby networks.
If requested, enter the password for the network, then click Join.
Join a hidden Wi-Fi network
You need to know the hidden network’s name, security protocol, and password to join it.
On your Mac, click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar, click Other Networks, then click Other at the bottom of the Other Networks list.
Enter the name of the wireless network in the Network Name field.
Click the Security pop-up menu, then choose the type of wireless security the network uses.
Enter the information for any additional fields that are displayed, such as a user name and password, then click Join.