Here's what you need
How to start sharing
- Connect your AirPods or your Beats headphones to your iOS device.
- Tap the AirPlay icon in Control Center or the Lock screen or in the app you're listening to.
- Tap Share Audio.
- If your friend has AirPods, hold them close to your device with the AirPods inside the case and open the lid. If your friend has Beats wireless headphones, put them in pairing mode and hold them close to your device.
- When you see your friend's headphones appear on your screen, tap Share Audio.
How to control audio
You can change the volume and play, pause, and stop your audio with the controls that are on the Lock screen or in Control Center. Drag the volume slider for either set of headphones, or drag the volume slider at the bottom to control the volume of both headphones.
You and your friend can also control the audio with the controls on your headphones. If you change the volume with headphone controls, only those headphones are affected.
How to stop sharing
To stop sharing, tap the AirPlay icon in Control Center or the Lock screen or in the app you're listening to.
Tap the checkmark next to the headphones you want to stop sharing with. When you stop sharing audio, you also disconnect the second set of headphones.
Compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models
- iPhone 8 or later
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) or later
- iPad Pro 11-inch
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad (5th generation) or later
- iPod touch (7th generation)
1 You can also share audio on Apple TV 4K with tvOS 14.
Compatible headphone models
- AirPods Pro
- AirPods (1st generation) or later
- Solo Pro
- Powerbeats Pro
- Powerbeats3 Wireless
- Beats Solo3 Wireless
- Beats Studio3 Wireless
- Beats Flex