VoiceOver User Guide
- What’s new in VoiceOver
- Use VoiceOver in the login window
- Change function key behavior
- Make VoiceOver ignore the next key press
- Learn or mute VoiceOver sound effects
- Hear hints and information
- Use positional audio
- Interact with areas and groups
- Hear progress or status changes
- Select and deselect items
- Drag and drop items
- Use cursor tracking
- Use VoiceOver Utility
- Change voice settings
- Customize verbosity
- Customize punctuation
- Change how VoiceOver pronounces text and symbols
- Change what the VoiceOver rotor shows
- Create custom labels for UI elements
- Export, import, and reset VoiceOver preferences
- Use VoiceOver portable preferences
- Use VoiceOver activities
Use VoiceOver to perform an item’s alternate action on Mac
Menu commands and other elements, such as buttons or checkboxes, may offer alternate actions.
Show actions for menu commands
Some menu commands may offer alternate actions when you press a modifier key.
Move the VoiceOver cursor to a menu command.
Hold down a modifier key.
If the command has an alternate action associated with that modifier, VoiceOver speaks it.
To perform the action, continue to hold the modifier key and press Enter, or press the other required keys.
Show actions for user interface elements
If an app or website developer has identified alternate actions for elements like buttons or checkboxes for screen readers, VoiceOver automatically announces them, so you can show and navigate to them.
Note: VO represents the VoiceOver modifier. See Use the VoiceOver modifier.
Show alternate actions: Press VO-Command-Space bar to open the Actions menu, then choose Show alternate items.
Show default items actions: Press VO-Command-Space bar to open the Actions menu, then choose Show default items.