iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
View maps on iPad
In the Maps app , you can find your location on a map and zoom in and out to see the detail you need.
On supported models and in select cities, Maps provides enhanced detail for elevation, roads, trees, buildings, landmarks, and more. (For availability, see Detailed City Experience on the iOS and iPadOS Feature Availability website.)
WARNING: For important information about navigation and avoiding distractions that could lead to dangerous situations, see Important safety information for iPad.
Allow Maps to use Location Services
To find your location and provide accurate directions, iPad must be connected to the internet, and Location Services must be turned on.
If Maps displays a message that Location Services is off, tap the message, tap Turn On in Settings, then turn on Location Services.
Cellular data rates may apply (Wi-Fi + Cellular models; see View or change your cellular data account).
Note: Apple is committed to keeping personal information about your location safe and private. To learn more, go to Settings > Maps, then tap About Apple Maps and Privacy.
Show your current location
Your position is marked in the middle of the map. The top of the map is north. To show your heading instead of north at the top, tap . To resume showing north, tap or .
Choose the right map
The button at the top right of a map indicates if the current map is for exploring , driving , riding transit , or viewing from a satellite . To choose a different map, do the following:
Tap the button at the top right.
Choose another map type, then tap .
View a 3D map
On a 2D map, do one of the following:
Drag two fingers up.
On the Satellite map, tap 3D near the top right.
On a 3D map, you can do the following:
Adjust the angle: Drag two fingers up or down.
See buildings and other small features in 3D: Zoom in.
Return to a 2D map: Tap 2D near the top right.
Move, zoom, and rotate a map or a 3D globe
Move around in a map: Drag the map.
Zoom in or out: Double-tap (leaving your finger on the screen after the second tap), then drag up to zoom in or drag down to zoom out. Or, pinch open or closed on the map.
On a 2D map, a scale appears in the upper left while you zoom. To change the unit of distance, go to Settings > Maps, then select In Miles or In Kilometers.
Rotate the map: Touch and hold the map with two fingers, then rotate your fingers.
To show north at the top of the screen after you rotate the map, tap .
View the earth with an interactive 3D globe: Zoom out until the map changes to a globe. Drag the globe to rotate it, or zoom in or out to explore details for mountain ranges, deserts, oceans, and more (supported models).
Add a name to Maps, or report an issue with Maps
Tap your picture or initials next to the search field, then tap Reports.
If you don’t see your picture or initials, tap Cancel next to the search field, or tap the search field, then tap Cancel.
Choose one of the options, then provide your information.