iPhone User Guide
- Supported models
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- What’s new in iOS 15
- Turn on and set up iPhone
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Multitask with Picture in Picture
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPhone
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPhone
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPhone
- Change sounds and vibrations
- Change the wallpaper
- Set a Live Photo as wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPhone
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Adjust the shutter volume
- Adjust HDR camera settings
- Record videos
- Record ProRes videos
- Change video recording settings
- Save camera settings
- Change advanced camera settings
- View, share, and print photos
- Use Live Text
- Scan a QR code
- Set up FaceTime
- Make and receive calls
- Create a FaceTime link
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Fill out your Health Details and Medical ID
- Monitor your walking steadiness
- Track your menstrual cycle
- Register as an organ donor
- Back up your Health data
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Things you can do while following a route
- Get driving directions
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Set up electric vehicle routing
- Delete recent directions
- Use Maps on your Mac to get directions
- Get rides
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Listen to Apple News Today
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Cinematic mode videos
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Charging cable
- Power adapters
- MagSafe chargers and battery packs
- MagSafe cases and sleeves
- Qi-certified wireless chargers
- Apple Watch
- HomePod and AirPlay 2 speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Share your internet connection
- Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPhone and other devices
- Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPhone with your computer
- Transfer files between iPhone and your computer
- Intro to CarPlay
- Connect to CarPlay
- Use Siri
- Use your vehicle’s built-in controls
- Get turn-by-turn directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Change the map view
- Make phone calls
- Play music
- View your calendar
- Send and receive text messages
- Announce incoming text messages
- Play podcasts
- Play audiobooks
- Listen to news stories
- Control your home
- Use other apps with CarPlay
- Rearrange icons on CarPlay Home
- Change settings in CarPlay
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPhone using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Automatically fill in SMS passcodes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Control access to information in apps
- Control access to hardware features
- Control app tracking permissions on iPhone
- Control the location information you share
- Turn on iCloud Private Relay
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Use a private network address
- Control how Apple delivers advertising to you
Set up Switch Control on iPhone
If you have physical difficulties, you can use Switch Control to operate iPhone using one or more switches. With switches, you can select, tap, drag, type, and even draw freehand. You use a switch to select an item or location on the screen, then use the same (or a different) switch to choose an action.
Add a switch
You can use the iPhone screen, camera, microphone, or the back of iPhone, or you can add an external adaptive switch.
Before you add an external switch, connect it to iPhone, following the instructions that came with the switch. If the switch connects using Bluetooth, pair it with iPhone—turn on the switch, go to Settings > Bluetooth, turn on Bluetooth, tap the name of the switch, then follow the onscreen instructions.
Go to Settings > Accessibility > Switch Control > Switches.
Tap Add New Switch, then choose any of the following:
External: Choose a Bluetooth switch or Made For iPhone (MFi) switch that plugs into the Lightning connector on iPhone.
Screen: Tap the iPhone screen to activate the switch.
Camera: Move your head left or right while facing the camera.
Back Tap: Double-tap or triple-tap the back of iPhone.
Sound: Make voiced and voiceless sounds such as “Oo” or a pop.
Assign an action to the switch.
To ensure Switch Control functions correctly, you must assign a switch to the Select Item action and another switch to the Move to Next Item action.
Choose a scanning style and customize Switch Control
You can adjust the behavior of Switch Control in a variety of ways, to suit your specific needs and style.
Go to Settings > Accessibility > Switch Control.
Tap Scanning Style, then choose one of the following:
Auto Scanning: The focus automatically moves to the next item after a specified duration.
Manual Scanning: You trigger a switch to move the focus to the next item (requires multiple switches).
Single Switch Step Scanning: You trigger a switch to move the focus to the next item; if no action is taken with a specified duration, the item with the focus is automatically activated.
Customize Switch Control by setting options such as the following:
Switches: Add switches and specify their function.
Recipes: Create, edit, and choose recipes to temporarily assign special actions to switches.
Auto Scanning Time: Adjust the item scanning speed.
Pause on First Item: Set scanning to pause on the first item in a group.
Loops: Choose how many times to cycle through the screen before hiding Switch Control.
Move Repeat: Set the delay before moving to the previous or next item while a switch is pressed.
Long Press: Set whether a different action occurs when you press and hold a switch, and how long to wait before performing that action.
Tap Behavior: Choose a tap behavior and set the interval for performing a second switch action to show the Scanner Menu.
Focused Item After Tap: Choose whether Switch Control resumes scanning at an item you tap or from the beginning.
Hold Duration: Set whether and how long you need to hold a switch down before it’s accepted as a switch action.
Ignore Repeat: Ignore accidental repeated switch triggers.
Gliding Cursor: Adjust the point scanning style and speed.
Head Tracking: Adjust settings for head tracking (on an iPhone with Face ID) and assign actions to facial expressions.
Sound Effects: Turn on sound effects.
Speech: Speak items as they’re scanned.
Menu Items: Choose the actions shown in the Scanner Menu and the order in which they appear.
Group Items: Group items for faster navigation.
Large Cursor: Make the selection cursor larger.
Cursor Color: Choose a different color.
Saved Gestures: Create and save custom gestures to the Scanner Menu.
Confirm with Switch Control: On an iPhone with Face ID, confirm payments with Face ID by using Switch Control instead of double-clicking the side button.
Turn Switch Control on or off
Important: Switch Control changes the gestures you use to control iPhone.
To turn Switch Control on or off, use any of the following methods: