Apple Watch User Guide
- What’s new
- Apple Watch gestures
- Use double tap to perform common actions
- Set up and pair your Apple Watch with iPhone
- Set up more than one Apple Watch
- Pair Apple Watch with a new iPhone
- The Apple Watch app
- Charge Apple Watch
- Turn on and wake Apple Watch
- Lock or unlock Apple Watch
- Change language and orientation on Apple Watch
- Remove, change, and fasten Apple Watch bands
- Apps on Apple Watch
- Open apps
- Organize apps
- Get more apps
- Tell time
- Status icons
- Control Center
- Use Focus
- Adjust brightness, text size, sounds, and haptics
- See and respond to notifications
- Change notification settings
- Use the Smart Stack to show timely widgets
- Manage your Apple ID
- Use shortcuts
- See time in daylight
- Set up Handwashing
- Connect Apple Watch to a Wi-Fi network
- Connect to Bluetooth headphones or speakers
- Hand off tasks from Apple Watch
- Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch
- Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch
- Use Apple Watch without its paired iPhone
- Set up and use cellular service on Apple Watch
- Get started with Apple Fitness+
- Subscribe to Apple Fitness+
- Find Fitness+ workouts and meditations
- Start a Fitness+ workout or meditation
- Create a Custom Plan in Apple Fitness+
- Work out together using SharePlay
- Change what’s on the screen during a Fitness+ workout or meditation
- Download a Fitness+ workout
- Blood Oxygen
- Camera Remote
- Now Playing
- Voice Memos
- About Wallet
- Apple Pay
- Set up Apple Pay
- Make purchases
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Watch (U.S. only)
- Manage Apple Cash (U.S. only)
- Use Wallet for passes
- Use rewards cards
- Pay with Apple Watch on Mac
- Ride transit
- Use your driver’s license or state ID
- Use digital keys
- Use COVID-19 vaccination cards
- Get started with the Workout app on Apple Watch
- What’s new in Workout
- Go cycling
- Go for a swim
- Change settings in Workout
- World Clock
- Set up Apple Watch using VoiceOver
- Apple Watch basics with VoiceOver
- Apple Watch Mirroring
- Control nearby devices
- Use a braille display
- Use a Bluetooth keyboard
- Tell time with haptic feedback
- Adjust text size and other visual settings
- Adjust motor skills settings
- Set up and use RTT
- Accessibility audio settings
- Type to speak
- Use accessibility features with Siri
- The Accessibility Shortcut
The Apple Watch status icons
Status icons at the top of the screen give you information about your Apple Watch.
What it means
You have an unread notification. Swipe down on the watch face to read it.
Apple Watch is charging.
Apple Watch battery is low.
Low Power Mode is on.
Apple Watch is locked. Tap to enter the passcode and unlock.
Water Lock is on, and the screen doesn’t respond to taps. Press and hold the Digital Crown to unlock.
Do Not Disturb is turned on. Calls and alerts won’t sound or light up the screen, but alarms are still in effect.
Personal Focus is turned on.
Work Focus is turned on.
Sleep Focus is turned on.
Airplane Mode is turned on. Wireless is turned off but non-wireless features are still available.
Theater mode is turned on. Apple Watch is silenced and its display won’t light up when you raise your wrist.
You have a workout in progress. To end the workout, see End and review your workout on Apple Watch.
Apple Watch has lost the connection with its paired iPhone. This happens when Apple Watch isn’t close enough to iPhone, or when Airplane Mode is enabled on iPhone. For more information, see the Apple Support article If your Apple Watch isn’t connected or paired with your iPhone.
Apple Watch is connected to its paired iPhone.
An app on Apple Watch is using location services.
Apple Watch is connected to a known Wi-Fi network.
There’s wireless activity or an active process happening.
The microphone is on.
Apple Watch is connected to a cellular network. The number of green bars indicates signal strength.
You’ve made yourself available to be reached on Walkie-Talkie. Tap the icon to open the Walkie-Talkie app.
For more information, see the Apple Support article Status icons and symbols on Apple Watch.
Download this guide: PDF