Here's what you need
You need an iPhone with iOS 13.1 or iPad with iPadOS 13 and one of these for both you and your friend:
- AirPods (1st generation) or later
- Powerbeats Pro
- Beats Solo3 Wireless
- Beats Studio3 Wireless
How to start sharing
- With your AirPods close by, open the lid and connect your AirPods to your iOS device.
- Tap the AirPlay icon in Control Center or the Lock screen or in the app you're listening to.
- Tap Share Audio.
- If your friend has AirPods, hold them close to your device with the AirPods inside the case and open the lid. For other headphones, put them in pairing mode and hold them close to your device.
- When you see your friend's headphones appear on your screen, tap Share Audio.
How to control audio
You can change the volume and play, pause, and stop your audio with the controls that are on the Lock screen or in Control Center. Drag the volume slider for either set of headphones, or drag the volume slider at the bottom to control the volume of both headphones.
You and your friend can also control the audio with the controls on your headphones. If you change the volume with headphone controls, only those headphones are affected.
How to stop sharing
To stop sharing, tap the AirPlay icon in Control Center or the Lock screen or in the app you're listening to.
Tap the check mark next to the headphones you want to stop sharing with. When you stop sharing audio, you also disconnect the second set of headphones.