iPhone User Guide
- Supported models
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone X
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- What’s new in iOS 15
- Turn on and set up iPhone
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Multitask with Picture in Picture
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPhone
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPhone
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPhone
- Change sounds and vibrations
- Change the wallpaper
- Set a Live Photo as wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPhone
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Adjust the shutter volume
- Adjust HDR camera settings
- Record videos
- Record ProRes videos
- Change video recording settings
- Save camera settings
- Change advanced camera settings
- View, share, and print photos
- Use Live Text
- Scan a QR code
- Set up FaceTime
- Make and receive calls
- Create a FaceTime link
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Fill out your Health Details and Medical ID
- Monitor your walking steadiness
- Track your menstrual cycle
- Register as an organ donor
- Back up your Health data
- Check your email
- Set email notifications
- Search for email
- Organize email in mailboxes
- Use Hide My Email
- Change email settings
- Use Mail Privacy Protection
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Things you can do while following a route
- Set up electric vehicle routing
- Get driving directions
- Get directions to your parked car
- Report traffic incidents in Maps on iPhone
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Delete recent directions
- Use Maps on your Mac to get directions
- Get rides
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Cash
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Listen to Apple News Today
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Cinematic mode videos
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- Watch memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Show a person or place less often
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Browse the web
- Customize your Safari settings
- Change the layout
- Search for websites
- Use tabs in Safari
- Bookmark favorite webpages
- Save pages to a Reading List
- View links shared with you
- Automatically fill in forms
- Get extensions
- Hide ads and distractions
- Browse the web privately
- Clear your cache
- Use Hide My Email
- Keep cards and passes in Wallet
- Set up Apple Pay
- Use Apple Pay for contactless payments
- Use Apple Pay in apps, App Clips, and Safari
- Use Apple Cash
- Use Apple Card
- Manage cards and activity
- Pay for transit
- Use digital keys
- Use student ID cards
- Use your driver’s license or state ID
- Add and use passes
- Manage passes
- Use COVID-19 vaccination cards
- Charging cable
- Power adapters
- MagSafe chargers and battery packs
- MagSafe cases and sleeves
- Qi-certified wireless chargers
- Apple Watch
- HomePod and AirPlay 2 speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Share your internet connection
- Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPhone and other devices
- Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPhone with your computer
- Transfer files between iPhone and your computer
- Intro to CarPlay
- Connect to CarPlay
- Use Siri
- Use your vehicle’s built-in controls
- Get turn-by-turn directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Change the map view
- Make phone calls
- Play music
- View your calendar
- Send and receive text messages
- Announce incoming text messages
- Play podcasts
- Play audiobooks
- Listen to news stories
- Control your home
- Use other apps with CarPlay
- Rearrange icons on CarPlay Home
- Change settings in CarPlay
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPhone using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change weak or compromised passwords
- View your passwords and related information
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Automatically fill in SMS passcodes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Control access to information in apps
- Control access to hardware features
- Control app tracking permissions on iPhone
- Control the location information you share
- Turn on iCloud Private Relay
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Use a private network address
- Control how Apple delivers advertising to you
Learn the meaning of the iPhone status icons
The icons in the status bar at the top of the screen provide information about iPhone. On an iPhone with Face ID, there are additional status icons at the top of Control Center.
Note: If you turn on a Focus, its icon appears in the status bar. See Turn a Focus on or off on iPhone.
What it means
Cell signal The number of bars indicates the signal strength of your cellular service. If there’s no signal, “No Service” appears.
Dual cell signals On models with Dual SIM, the upper row of bars indicates the signal strength of the line you use for cellular data. The lower row of bars indicates the signal strength of your other line. If there’s no signal, “No Service” appears. To see the status icons with their corresponding cellular plan labels and carrier names, open Control Center.
Airplane mode Airplane mode is on—you can’t make phone calls, and other wireless functions may be disabled. See Choose iPhone settings for travel.
5G Your carrier’s 5G network is available, and supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G UC Your carrier’s 5G UC network is available, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G+ Your carrier’s 5G+ network is available, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G UW Your carrier’s 5G UW network is available, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Supported models can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See the Apple Support article Use 5G with your iPhone.
5G E Your carrier’s 5G E network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (supported on iPhone 8 and later; not available in all countries or regions). See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
UMTS Your carrier’s 4G UMTS (GSM) or LTE network (depending on the carrier) is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
LTE Your carrier’s LTE network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions). See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
UMTS/EV-DO Your carrier’s 3G UMTS (GSM) or EV-DO (CDMA) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network. See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
EDGE Your carrier’s EDGE (GSM) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network. See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
GPRS/1xRTT Your carrier’s GPRS (GSM) or 1xRTT (CDMA) network is available, and iPhone can connect to the internet over that network. See View or change cellular data settings on iPhone.
Wi-Fi call iPhone is set up for Wi-Fi calling. iPhone also displays a carrier name next to the icon. See Make calls using Wi-Fi on iPhone.
Wi-Fi iPhone is connected to the internet over a Wi-Fi network. See Connect iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
Personal Hotspot iPhone is connected to the internet through the Personal Hotspot of another device. See Join a Personal Hotspot.
Navigation Indicator iPhone is providing turn-by-turn directions. See Get driving directions in Maps on iPhone.
Personal Hotspot Indicator iPhone is providing a Personal Hotspot. See Share your internet connection from iPhone.
Call Indicator iPhone is on a phone call. See Make a call on iPhone.
FaceTime Indicator iPhone is on a FaceTime call. See Make and receive FaceTime calls on iPhone.
Recording Indicator iPhone is recording your screen. See Take a screenshot or screen recording on iPhone.
Camera In Use Indicator An app is using your camera. See iPhone camera basics.
Microphone In Use Indicator An app is using your microphone. See Make a basic recording.
CarPlay iPhone is connected to CarPlay. See Connect iPhone to CarPlay.
Syncing iPhone is syncing with your computer. See Sync iPhone with your computer.
Network activity Shows that there’s network activity. Some third-party apps may also use it to show an active process.
VPN iPhone is connected to a network using VPN.
Call Forwarding Call Forwarding is set up. See Set up call forwarding and call waiting on iPhone.
TTY Software RTT / TTY or Hardware TTY is turned on. See Set up and use RTT and TTY on iPhone.
Lock iPhone is locked. See Wake and unlock iPhone.
Do Not Disturb Do Not Disturb is turned on. See Turn a Focus on or off on iPhone.
Portrait orientation lock The iPhone screen is locked in portrait orientation. See Change or lock the screen orientation on iPhone.
Location Services An app is using Location Services. See Control the location information you share on iPhone.
Alarm An alarm is set. See Set an alarm on iPhone.
Headphones connected iPhone is paired with Bluetooth headphones that are turned on and within Bluetooth range. See Set up and listen to Bluetooth headphones.
Bluetooth battery Shows the battery level of a paired Bluetooth device. See Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone.
Battery Shows the iPhone battery level. When the icon is yellow, Low Power Mode is on. See Monitor the iPhone battery level.
Battery Charging Shows the iPhone battery is charging. See Charge the iPhone battery.
AirPlay AirPlay is on. See Wirelessly stream videos and photos to Apple TV or a smart TV from iPhone.
Voice Control Voice Control is turned on in Settings > Accessibility, and Siri is ready for your requests. See Use Voice Control to interact with iPhone.
Siri Eyes Free Siri is available for your spoken requests in your car. See Use Siri in your car.