Here's what you need
How to start sharing
- Connect your AirPods or AirPods Pro, your AirPods Max, or your Beats headphones to your iOS or iPadOS device.
- Tap the AirPlay button in Control Center on your iPhone or iPad, on the Lock Screen, or in the app that you're listening to.
- Tap Share Audio.
- If your friend has AirPods or AirPods Pro, hold them close to your device with the AirPods inside the case and open the lid. If your friend has AirPods Max, hold them close to your device. If your friend has Beats wireless headphones, put them in pairing mode and hold them close to your device.
- When you see your friend's headphones appear on your screen, tap Share Audio.
How to control audio
You can change the volume and play, pause, and stop your audio with the controls that are on the Lock Screen or in Control Center on your iPhone or iPad. Drag the volume slider for either set of headphones, or drag the volume slider at the bottom to control the volume of both headphones.
You and your friend can also control the audio with the controls on your headphones. If you change the volume with headphone controls, only those headphones are affected.
How to stop sharing
Compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models
Compatible headphone models
- AirPods Max
- AirPods Pro (1st generation) and later
- AirPods (1st generation) and later
- Solo Pro
- Powerbeats Pro
- Powerbeats3 Wireless
- Beats Solo3 Wireless
- Beats Studio3 Wireless
- Beats Flex
- Beats Fit Pro
1 You can also share audio on Apple TV 4K with tvOS 14 and later.