Recommended system requirements
iCloud requires an Apple ID, an active Internet connection, and up to date software. If you meet the recommended system requirements below, you can take advantage of the latest iCloud features and get the best overall experience. To see the minimum requirements for each feature, you can review the minimum requirements table at the bottom of this page.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iOS 9
- iWork for iOS (Pages 2.5 or later, Numbers 2.5 or later, Keynote 2.5 or later)1
- OS X El Capitan
- iTunes 12.3 or later
- Safari 8 or later, Firefox 22 or later, or Google Chrome 28 or later
- iWork for Mac (Pages 5.5 or later, Numbers 3.5 or later, Keynote 6.5 or later)1
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. Windows 10 currently isn't supported with iCloud for Windows.
- iCloud for Windows
- iTunes 12.3 or later
- Outlook 2007 or later2
- Internet Explorer 10 or later, Firefox 22 or later, or Google Chrome 28 or later (desktop mode only)
- Apple TV software 7.0 or later
Minimum system requirements by feature
To use iCloud, you need at least iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPad, or iPad mini; or at least OS X Lion v10.7.5 on a Mac.
Review this table for specific requirements of each iCloud feature.
|iCloud feature||Minimum requirements|
|iOS||OS X||Windows||Apple TV|
|Back to My Mac||—||OS X Lion v10.7.5||—||—|
|Backup and Restore||iOS 5||—||—||—|
|Calendar, Contacts, Mail||iOS 5||OS X Lion v10.7.5||
|Mail Drop (send attachments)||—||
|Documents in the Cloud||
|Family Sharing||iOS 8||
||Apple TV software 7.0|
|Find My Friends||
|Find My iPhone||
|Find My iPhone app||
|iCloud Drive||iOS 8||OS X Yosemite||
|iCloud Photo Sharing||iOS 7||
||Apple TV software 5.3|
|iCloud Photo Library||iOS 8.3||OS X Yosemite v10.10.3||—||—|
|My Photo Stream||iOS 5.1||
||Apple TV software 5.0|
|iCloud Tabs||iOS 6||
|iTunes in the Cloud 3||iOS 5||
||Apple TV software 4.4|
|iTunes Match||iOS 5.0.1||
|Apple TV software 4.4|
|iWork for iCloud beta||—||
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
|Reading List||iOS 5||Safari 5.1||—||—|
|Two-factor authentication||iOS 9||OS X El Capitan||
iCloud for Windows 5
|Two-step verification 5||iOS 7||OS X Mavericks v10.9||—||—|
Some features aren't available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
- You can buy iWork for iOS and iWork for Mac from the App Store if they didn't come free with your iOS device or Mac.
- Outlook 2010 Personal Edition and Outlook Click-to-Run installations aren't supported.
- iTunes in the Cloud availability for music, movies, and TV shows varies by country. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Not all previously purchased movies are available for downloading to your other devices.
- If you have two-factor authentication and you use iCloud Keychain, you'll need iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan.
- If you don’t meet the minimum system requirements, your data is still protected by two-step verification. However, if you change your Apple ID password while you're signed in to iCloud on devices that don't meet the minimum requirements, you might see these issues.