Recommended system requirements
iCloud requires an Apple ID, an active Internet connection, and up to date software. If you meet the recommended system requirements below, you can take advantage of the latest iCloud features and get the best overall experience. To see the minimum requirements for each feature, you can review the minimum requirements table at the bottom of this page.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iOS 10
- iWork for iOS (Pages 2.5 or later, Numbers 2.5 or later, Keynote 2.5 or later)1
- macOS Sierra
- iTunes 12.5
- Safari 9.1 or later, Firefox 22 or later, or Google Chrome 28 or later
- iWork for Mac (Pages 5.5 or later, Numbers 3.5 or later, Keynote 6.5 or later)1
- Microsoft Windows 10
- iCloud for Windows 6
- iTunes 12.5
- Outlook 2007 - Outlook 20162
- Internet Explorer 11 or later, Firefox 45 or later, or Google Chrome 50 or later (desktop mode only)
- Apple TV software 7.2.1 or later
Minimum system requirements by feature
To use iCloud, you need at least iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPad, or iPad mini; or at least OS X Lion 10.7.5 on a Mac.
Review this table for specific requirements of each iCloud feature.
|iCloud minimum requirements|
|Feature:||iPhone, iPad, iPod touch||Mac||Windows||Apple TV|
|Back to My Mac||—||OS X Lion v10.7.5||—||—|
|Backup and Restore||iOS 5||—||—||—|
|Calendar, Contacts, Mail||iOS 5||OS X Lion v10.7.5||
|Mail Drop (send attachments)||iOS 9.2||
|Family Sharing||iOS 8||
|Find My Friends||
|Find My iPhone||
|Find My iPhone app||iOS 8||—||—||—|
|iCloud Drive||iOS 8||OS X Yosemite||
|iCloud Photo Sharing||iOS 7||
|iCloud Photo Library||iOS 8.3||OS X Yosemite 10.10.3||—|
|My Photo Stream||iOS 5.1||
|iCloud Tabs||iOS 6||
|iTunes Match||iOS 5.0.1||iTunes 10.5.1||iTunes 10.5.1||tvOS 4.4|
|iWork for iCloud||—||
|Keychain 3||iOS 8.4.1||OS X Yosemite 10.10.5||—||—|
|Reading List||iOS 5||Safari 5.1||—||—|
|Two-factor authentication||iOS 9||OS X El Capitan||iCloud for Windows 5||—|
|Two-step verification 4||iOS 7||OS X Mavericks v10.9||—||—|
Some features aren't available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
- You can buy iWork for iOS and iWork for Mac from the App Store if they didn't come free with your iOS device or Mac.
- Outlook 2010 Personal Edition and Outlook Click-to-Run installations aren't supported. Check to see if Outlook is a Click-to-Run application on your computer.
- If you have two-factor authentication and you use iCloud Keychain, you need iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan.
- If you don’t meet the minimum system requirements, your data is still protected by two-step verification. However, if you change your Apple ID password while you're signed in to iCloud on devices that don't meet the minimum requirements, you might see these issues.