iPhone User Guide
- Supported models
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- What’s new in iOS 16
- Turn on and set up iPhone
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Use Dual SIM
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Multitask with Picture in Picture
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- View activites in the Dynamic Island
- Perform quick actions
- Search from the Home Screen or Lock Screen
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPhone
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPhone
- Change sounds and vibrations
- Personalize your iPhone Lock Screen
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Keep the iPhone display on longer
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPhone
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Adjust the shutter volume
- Adjust HDR camera settings
- Record videos
- Record ProRes videos
- Record video in Cinematic mode
- Change video recording settings
- Save camera settings
- Change advanced camera settings
- View, share, and print photos
- Use Live Text
- Scan a QR code
- Set up FaceTime
- Make and receive calls
- Create a FaceTime link
- Take a Live Photo
- Turn on Live Captions in a FaceTime call
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Hand off a FaceTime call to another device
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Intro to Health
- Fill out your Health Details
- Monitor your walking steadiness
- Register as an organ donor
- Back up your Health data
- Check your email
- Set email notifications
- Search for email
- Organize email in mailboxes
- Change email settings
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Set up electric vehicle routing
- Get driving directions
- Get directions to your parked car
- Report traffic incidents in Maps on iPhone
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Delete recent directions
- Use Maps on your Mac to get directions
- Get rides
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Unsend and edit messages
- Keep track of messages and conversations
- Start a group conversation
- Add photos and videos
- Send and receive content
- Watch, listen, or play together using SharePlay
- Collaborate on projects
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Cash
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Follow your favorite teams with My Sports
- Listen to Apple News Today
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete or hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Cinematic mode videos
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Use photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos and videos in albums
- Duplicate and copy photos and videos
- Find and delete duplicate photos and videos
- Search for Photos
- Find and identify people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with text and subjects in your photos
- Watch memories
- Personalize your memories
- Manage memories and featured photos
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Browse the web
- Customize your Safari settings
- Change the layout
- Search for websites
- Bookmark favorite webpages
- Save pages to a Reading List
- Find links shared with you
- Annotate and save a webpage as a PDF
- Automatically fill in forms
- Get extensions
- Hide ads and distractions
- Keep cards and passes in Wallet
- Set up Apple Pay
- Use Apple Pay for contactless payments
- Use Apple Pay in apps, App Clips, and Safari
- Use Apple Cash
- Use Apple Card
- Manage payment cards and activity
- Pay for transit
- Use digital keys
- Use your driver’s license or state ID
- Use student ID cards
- Apple Account Card
- Add and use passes
- Manage passes
- Use COVID-19 vaccination cards
- Charging cable
- Power adapters
- MagSafe chargers and battery packs
- MagSafe cases and sleeves
- Qi-certified wireless chargers
- Apple Watch
- HomePod and AirPlay 2 speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Share your internet connection
- Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPhone and other devices
- Connect iPhone and your computer with a cable
- Intro to transferring files
- Transfer files with email, messages, or AirDrop
- Automatically keep files up to date with iCloud
- Transfer files with an external storage device
- Use a file server to share files between your iPhone and computer
- Share files with a cloud storage service
- Sync content or transfer files with the Finder or iTunes
- Intro to CarPlay
- Connect to CarPlay
- Use Siri
- Use your vehicle’s built-in controls
- Get turn-by-turn directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Change the map view
- Make phone calls
- Play music
- View your calendar
- Send and receive text messages
- Announce incoming text messages
- Play podcasts
- Play audiobooks
- Listen to news stories
- Control your home
- Use other apps with CarPlay
- Rearrange icons on CarPlay Home
- Change settings in CarPlay
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPhone using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with passkeys
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change weak or compromised passwords
- View your passwords and related information
- Share passkeys and passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passkeys and passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Automatically fill in SMS passcodes
- Sign in with fewer CAPTCHA challenges on iPhone
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Protect your web browsing with iCloud Private Relay
- Lockdown Mode
- Use a private network address
Use VoiceOver in apps on iPhone
You can use VoiceOver to interact with apps, even if you can’t see the screen. VoiceOver is supported in the built-in Apple apps that came with your iPhone—such as Safari , Maps , and more. With VoiceOver Recognition, you can get descriptions of images and screen elements even on webpages and in apps without accessibility information.
Browse the web in Safari
Search the web: Select the address field, double-tap to invoke the keyboard, then enter a search term, phrase, or URL. Select a search suggestion, then double-tap.
Skip to the next element on a webpage: Set the rotor to the element type—such as headings, links, and form controls—then swipe up or down.
Set the rotor settings for web browsing: Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Rotor. Select or deselect items, or drag up or down to reposition an item.
Skip images while navigating: Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Navigate Images. You can choose to skip all images or only those without descriptions.
Reduce page clutter for easier reading and navigation: In the Safari address field, select the Format Options button, double-tap, select Show Reader View (not available for all webpages), then double-tap.
Navigate in Maps
Control how the map tracks your current location: Select , then double-tap until you hear the tracking option you want.
Tracking on: The map automatically centers on your current location.
Tracking on with heading: The map automatically centers on your current location and rotates so that the heading you’re facing is at the top of the screen. In this mode, iPhone speaks street names and points of interest as you approach them.
Tracking off: The map doesn’t automatically center on your current location.
Explore the map: Drag your finger around the screen, or swipe left or right to move to another item.
Zoom in or out: Select the map, set the rotor to Zoom, then swipe up or down with one finger.
Pan the map: Swipe with three fingers.
Browse points of interest shown on the map: Set the rotor to Points of Interest, then swipe up or down with one finger.
Follow a road: Hold your finger down on the road, wait until you hear “pause to follow,” then move your finger along the road.
Get information about a location: Select the location (for example, a business, landmark or pin), then double-tap to open the information card. Swipe left or right to hear information such as directions, street address, phone number, business hours, and customer reviews.
Get guidance to the starting point: When you start walking directions in Maps, iPhone guides you in the direction of the starting point using sound and haptic feedback.
Read PDF documents
In the Books and Files apps, you can use VoiceOver to read PDF documents. VoiceOver even describes detailed information—such as forms, tables, and lists.
Make and receive phone calls
In the Phone app, you can use VoiceOver to make and receive calls.
Answer or end a call: Double-tap the screen with two fingers.
When a phone call is established with VoiceOver on, the screen displays the numeric keypad by default, instead of showing call options.
Display call options: Select the Hide button in the lower-right corner, then double-tap.
Display the numeric keypad again: Select the Keypad button near the center of the screen, then double-tap.
Trim voice memo recordings
In the Voice Memos app, you can use VoiceOver to edit recordings.
Select the recording you want to trim, then double-tap.
Select , then double-tap.
Select Edit Recording, then double-tap.
Select , then double-tap.
In the Waveform Overview, select Trim Beginning or Trim End, then swipe up or down to adjust the start or end time.
Select Trim, then double-tap.
Select Save, then double-tap.
Select Done, then double-tap.
Read math equations
VoiceOver can read math equations on the web (encoded using MathML) and in supported Apple apps such as Numbers and Keynote.
Hear an equation: Have VoiceOver read the text as usual. VoiceOver says “math” before it starts reading an equation.
Explore the equation: Double-tap the selected equation to display it in full screen and move through it one element at a time. Swipe left or right to read elements of the equation. Use the rotor to select Symbols, Small Expressions, Medium Expressions, or Large Expressions, then swipe up or down to hear the next element of that size. You can continue to double-tap the selected element to “drill down” into the equation to focus on the selected element, then swipe left or right, or up or down, to read one part at a time.
Equations spoken by VoiceOver can also be output to a braille device using Nemeth Code, as well as the codes used by Unified English Braille, British English, French, and Greek. See Use a braille display with VoiceOver on iPhone.
Use VoiceOver Recognition on the web or in apps without accessibility information
Note: VoiceOver Recognition should not be relied upon in circumstances where you could be harmed or injured, in high-risk situations, for navigation, or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > VoiceOver Recognition.
Turn on any of the following:
Image Descriptions: Get descriptions of images in apps and on the web.
Screen Recognition: Get descriptions of screen elements in apps.
Text Recognition: Get descriptions of text found in images.
Tap Feedback Style, then choose Speak, Play Sound, or Do Nothing.