Important safety information for iPod touch
WARNING: Failure to follow these safety instructions could result in fire, electric shock, injury, or damage to iPod touch or other property. Read all the safety information below before using iPod touch.
Handling Handle iPod touch with care. It is made of metal, glass, and plastic and has sensitive electronic components inside. iPod touch or its battery can be damaged if dropped, burned, punctured, or crushed, or if it comes in contact with liquid. If you suspect damage to iPod touch or the battery, discontinue use of iPod touch, as it may cause overheating or injury. Don’t use iPod touch with cracked glass, as it may cause injury. If you’re concerned about scratching the surface of iPod touch, consider using a case or cover.
Repairing Don’t open iPod touch and don’t attempt to repair iPod touch yourself. Disassembling iPod touch may damage it or may cause injury to you. If iPod touch is damaged, malfunctions, or comes in contact with liquid, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Repairs by service providers other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider may not involve the use of Apple genuine parts and may affect the safety and functionality of the device. You can find more information about repairs and service at the iPod Repair - Official Apple Support website.
Battery Don’t attempt to replace the iPod touch battery yourself. The lithium-ion battery in iPod touch should be replaced by Apple or an authorized service provider. Improper replacement or repair could damage the battery, cause overheating, or result in injury. The battery must be recycled or disposed of separately from household waste. Don’t incinerate the battery. For information about battery service and recycling, see the Battery Service and Recycling website.
Distraction Using iPod touch in some circumstances may distract you and might cause a dangerous situation (for example, avoid using headphones while riding a bicycle). Observe rules that prohibit or restrict the use of mobile devices or headphones.
Navigation Maps depends on data services. These data services are subject to change and may not be available in all countries or regions, resulting in maps and location-based information that may be unavailable, inaccurate, or incomplete. Compare the information provided in Maps to your surroundings. Use common sense when navigating. Always observe current road conditions and posted signs to resolve any discrepancies. Some Maps features require Location Services.
Charging To charge iPod touch, do one of the following:
Charge the iPod touch battery using the charging cable (included) and an Apple USB power adapter (sold separately).
You can also charge iPod touch with “Made for iPod” or other third-party cables and power adapters that are compliant with USB 2.0 or later and with applicable country regulations and international and regional safety standards. Other adapters may not meet applicable safety standards, and charging with such adapters could pose a risk of death or injury.
Using damaged cables or chargers, or charging when moisture is present, can cause fire, electric shock, injury, or damage to iPod touch or other property. When you use a compatible power adapter (sold separately) to charge iPod touch, make sure the USB cable is fully inserted into the power adapter before you plug the adapter into a power outlet. It’s important to keep iPod touch, the charging cable, and the power adapter in a well-ventilated area when in use or charging.
Charging cable and connector Avoid prolonged skin contact with the charging cable and connector when the charging cable is connected to a power source because it may cause discomfort or injury. Sleeping or sitting on the charging cable or connector should be avoided.
Prolonged heat exposure iPod touch and Apple USB power adapters (sold separately) comply with required surface temperature limits defined by applicable country regulations and international and regional safety standards. However, even within these limits, sustained contact with warm surfaces for long periods of time may cause discomfort or injury. Use common sense to avoid situations where your skin is in contact with a device or its power adapter when it’s operating or connected to a power source for long periods of time. For example, don’t sleep on a device or power adapter, or place them under a blanket, pillow, or your body, when it’s connected to a power source. Keep your iPod touch and the USB power adapter in a well-ventilated area when in use or charging. Take special care if you have a physical condition that affects your ability to detect heat against the body.
USB power adapter (sold separately) To operate an Apple USB power adapter safely and reduce the possibility of heat-related injury or damage, plug the power adapter directly into a power outlet. Donʼt use the power adapter in wet locations, such as near a sink, bathtub, or shower stall, and don’t connect or disconnect the power adapter with wet hands. Stop using the power adapter and any cables if any of the following conditions exist:
The power adapter plug or prongs are damaged.
The charge cable becomes frayed or otherwise damaged.
The power adapter is exposed to excessive moisture, or liquid is spilled into the power adapter.
The power adapter has been dropped, and its enclosure is damaged.
Apple 5W USB power adapter specifications:
Frequency: 50 to 60 Hz, single phase
Line voltage: 100 to 240 V
Output voltage: 5V/1A
Output Port: USB
Hearing loss Listening to sound at high volumes may damage your hearing. Background noise, as well as continued exposure to high volume levels, can make sounds seem quieter than they actually are. Turn on audio playback and check the volume before inserting anything in your ear. For information about how to set a maximum volume limit, see Use headphone audio level features on iPod touch. For more information about hearing loss, see the Sound and Hearing website.
The Apple headsets sold with iPod touch in China (identifiable by dark insulating rings on the plugs) are designed to comply with Chinese standards and are only compatible with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad.
WARNING: To prevent possible hearing damage, do not listen at high volume levels for long periods.
Radio frequency exposure iPod touch uses radio signals to connect to wireless networks. For information about radio frequency (RF) energy resulting from radio signals, and steps you can take to minimize exposure, go to Settings > General > Legal & Regulatory > RF Exposure, or see the RF Exposure website.
Radio frequency interference Observe signs and notices that prohibit or restrict the use of electronic devices. Although iPod touch is designed, tested, and manufactured to comply with regulations governing radio frequency emissions, such emissions from iPod touch can negatively affect the operation of other electronic equipment, causing them to malfunction. When use is prohibited, such as while traveling in aircraft, or when asked to do so by authorities, turn off iPod touch, or use airplane mode or Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth to turn off the iPod touch wireless transmitters.
Medical device interference iPod touch contains components and radios that emit electromagnetic fields. iPod touch and the included EarPods also contain magnets. These electromagnetic fields and magnets may interfere with medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators. Consult your physician and medical device manufacturer for information specific to your medical device and whether you need to maintain a safe distance of separation between your medical device and iPod touch and the EarPods. If you suspect iPod touch or the EarPods are interfering with your medical device, stop using iPod touch or EarPods.
Not a medical device iPod touch is not a medical device and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical judgment. It is not designed or intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of any condition or disease. Please consult your healthcare provider prior to making any decisions related to your health.
Medical conditions If you have any medical condition or experience symptoms that you believe could be affected by iPod touch or flashing lights (for example, seizures, blackouts, eyestrain, or headaches), consult with your physician prior to using iPod touch.
Explosive and other atmospheric conditions Charging or using iPod touch in any area with a potentially explosive atmosphere, such as areas where the air contains high levels of flammable chemicals, vapors, or particles (such as grain, dust, or metal powders), may be hazardous. Exposing iPod touch to environments having high concentrations of industrial chemicals, including near evaporating liquified gasses such as helium, may damage or impair iPod touch functionality. Obey all signs and instructions.
Repetitive motion When you perform repetitive activities such as typing, swiping, or playing games on iPod touch, you may experience discomfort in your hands, arms, wrists, shoulders, neck, or other parts of your body. If you experience discomfort, stop using iPod touch and consult a physician.
High-consequence activities This device is not intended for use where the failure of the device could lead to death, personal injury, or severe environmental damage.
Choking hazard Some iPod touch accessories may present a choking hazard to small children. Keep these accessories away from small children.