iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- View maps
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize Memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change a weak password
- Share passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passwords available on all your devices
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
Change your VoiceOver settings on iPad
You can customize the settings for VoiceOver, such as the audio options, language, voice, speaking rate, and verbosity.
Adjust the VoiceOver volume and other audio options
To increase or decrease the volume, press the volume buttons on iPad.
To set other audio options, go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Audio, then set options such as the following:
Sounds: Adjust and preview sound effects.
Audio Ducking: Temporarily reduce media playback volume when VoiceOver speaks.
Send to HDMI: Route audio to externally connected devices, such as an instrument amplifier or a DJ mixer.
Set the VoiceOver language
VoiceOver uses the same language you choose for your iPad. VoiceOver pronunciation of some languages is affected by the Region Format you choose.
Go to Settings > General > Language & Region.
Tap iPad Language, then choose a language.
Adjust the speaking voice
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver, then do any of the following:
Adjust the speaking rate: Drag the Speaking Rate slider.
Choose a voice: Tap Speech > Voice, then choose a voice. To download an enhanced voice, tap .
Adjust the pitch: Tap Speech, then drag the slider. You can also turn on Use Pitch Change to have VoiceOver use a higher pitch when speaking the first item of a group (such as a list or table) and a lower pitch when speaking the last item of a group.
Specify the pronunciation of certain words: Tap Speech > Pronunciations, tap , enter a phrase, then dictate or spell out how you want the phrase to be pronounced.
Note: You can dictate only if you turned on Enable Dictation in Settings > General > Keyboards.
Set how much VoiceOver tells you
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver, then tap any of the following:
Verbosity: Choose options to have VoiceOver speak hints, punctuation, uppercase letters, embedded links, and more. VoiceOver can even confirm rotor actions and tell you when the flashlight is turned on (available on iPad models with True Tone Flash).
To change how VoiceOver speaks punctuation, tap Punctuation, then choose a group. You can also create new groups—for example, a programming group in which “[” is spoken as “left brack.”
Always Speak Notifications: VoiceOver reads notifications, including incoming text messages as they occur, even if iPad is locked. Unacknowledged notifications are repeated when you unlock iPad.
Customize VoiceOver settings for an activity
You can customize a group of VoiceOver settings for an activity such as programming. Apply the settings automatically when you open certain apps or by adjusting the rotor.
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Activities.
Choose an existing activity or tap Add Activity.
Adjust settings for speech, verbosity, and braille.
Choose Apps or Context to automatically apply the settings for this activity.
Use flat or grouped navigation
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Navigation Style, then choose one of the following:
Flat: VoiceOver moves sequentially through each item on the screen when you use the move next and previous commands.
Grouped: VoiceOver moves through items and groups of items on the screen. To move into a group, use a two-finger swipe right. To move out of a group, use a two-finger swipe left.
Adjust VoiceOver visuals
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver, then turn on any of the following:
Large Cursor: If you have difficulty seeing the black outline around the selected item, you can enlarge and thicken the outline.
Caption Panel: The text spoken by VoiceOver is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Use Quick Settings to adjust VoiceOver from anywhere on iPad
When VoiceOver is turned on, you can access Quick Settings by doing a two-finger quadruple tap.
To customize Quick Settings, do the following:
Go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Quick Settings.
Choose the settings you want, or drag to reorder settings.