iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (10th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (6th generation)
- What’s new in iPadOS 16
- Turn on and set up iPad
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Turn on Live Captions in a FaceTime call
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch, listen, and play together
- Share your screen
- Hand off a FaceTime call to another device
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Get started with Freeform
- Create a Freeform board
- Access your Freeform boards on all your devices
- Position items on a board
- Search Freeform boards
- Share and collaborate
- Delete boards
- Intro to Home
- Upgrade to the new Home architecture
- Set up accessories
- Control accessories
- Control your home using Siri
- Configure HomePod
- Control your home remotely
- Create and use scenes
- Create an automation
- Configure cameras
- Face Recognition
- Configure a router
- Share controls with others
- Add more homes
- Check your email
- Set email notifications
- Search for email
- Organize your email in mailboxes
- Change email settings
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- Keyboard shortcuts
- View maps
- Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions
- Select other route options
- Get driving directions
- Report traffic incidents
- Get cycling directions
- Get walking directions
- Get transit directions
- Delete recent directions
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Unsend and edit messages
- Keep track of messages and conversations
- Set up a group conversation
- Add photos and video
- Send and receive content
- Watch, listen, or play together using SharePlay
- Collaborate on projects
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send, receive, and request money with Apple Cash
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- Get started with News
- Use News widgets
- See news stories chosen just for you
- Read stories
- Follow your favorite teams with My Sports
- Download Apple News+ issues
- Search for news stories
- Save news stories for later
- Subscribe to news channels
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete or hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Use photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos and videos in albums
- Duplicate and copy photos and videos
- Merge duplicate photos
- Search in Photos
- Find and identify people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Use Live Text to interact with content in a photo or video
- Use Visual Look Up to identify objects in your photos
- Lift a subject from the photo background
- Watch memories
- Personalize your memories
- Manage memories and featured photos
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Browse the web
- Customize your Safari settings
- Change the layout
- Search for websites
- Bookmark favorite webpages
- Save pages to a Reading List
- Find links shared with you
- Annotate and save a webpage as a PDF
- Automatically fill in forms
- Get extensions
- Hide ads and distractions
- Clear your cache
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Use a keyboard and mouse or trackpad across your Mac and iPad
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Intro to transferring files
- Transfer files with email, messages, or AirDrop
- Automatically keep files up to date with iCloud
- Transfer files with an external storage device
- Use a file server to share files between your iPad and computer
- Share files with a cloud storage service
- Sync content or transfer files with the Finder or iTunes
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Hover Text
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Sign in with passkeys
- Sign in with Apple
- Automatically fill in strong passwords
- Change weak or compromised passwords
- View your passwords and related information
- Share passkeys and passwords securely with AirDrop
- Make your passkeys and passwords available on all your devices
- Automatically fill in verification codes
- Sign in with fewer CAPTCHA challenges on iPad
- Manage two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Use security keys
- Create and manage Hide My Email addresses
- Protect your web browsing with iCloud Private Relay
- Use a private network address
- Use Advanced Data Protection
- Lockdown Mode
Set up Switch Control on iPad
If you have physical difficulties, you can use Switch Control to operate iPad using one or more switches. With switches, you can select, tap, drag, type, and even draw freehand. You use a switch to select an item or location on the screen, then use the same (or a different) switch to choose an action.
Add a switch
You can use the iPad screen, camera, microphone, or the back of iPad, or you can add an external adaptive switch.
Before you add an external switch, connect it to iPad, following the instructions that came with the switch. If the switch connects using Bluetooth, pair it with iPad—turn on the switch, go to Settings > Bluetooth, turn on Bluetooth, tap the name of the switch, then follow the onscreen instructions.
Go to Settings > Accessibility > Switch Control > Switches.
Tap Add New Switch, then choose any of the following:
External: Choose a Bluetooth switch or Made For iPad (MFi) switch that plugs into the Lightning or USB-C connector on iPad.
Screen: Tap the iPad screen to activate the switch.
Camera: Move your head left or right while facing the camera.
Sound: Make voiced and voiceless sounds such as “Oo” or a pop.
Assign an action to the switch.
To ensure Switch Control functions correctly, you must assign the Select Item action to at least one switch.
Choose a scanning style and customize Switch Control
You can adjust the behavior of Switch Control in a variety of ways, to suit your specific needs and style.
Go to Settings > Accessibility > Switch Control.
Tap Scanning Style, then choose one of the following:
Auto Scanning: The focus automatically moves to the next item after a specified duration.
Manual Scanning: You trigger a switch to move the focus to the next item (requires multiple switches).
Single Switch Step Scanning: You trigger a switch to move the focus to the next item; if no action is taken with a specified duration, the item with the focus is automatically activated.
Customize Switch Control by setting options such as the following:
Switches: Add switches and specify their function.
Recipes: Create, edit, and choose recipes to temporarily assign special actions to switches.
Auto Scanning Time: Adjust the item scanning speed.
Pause on First Item: Set scanning to pause on the first item in a group.
Loops: Choose how many times to cycle through the screen before hiding Switch Control.
Move Repeat: Set the delay before moving to the previous or next item while a switch is pressed.
Long Press: Set whether a different action occurs when you press and hold a switch, and how long to wait before performing that action.
Tap Behavior: Choose a tap behavior and set the interval for performing a second switch action to show the Scanner Menu.
Focused Item After Tap: Choose whether Switch Control resumes scanning at an item you tap or from the beginning.
Hold Duration: Set whether and how long you need to hold a switch down before it’s accepted as a switch action.
Ignore Repeat: Ignore accidental repeated switch triggers.
Gliding Cursor: Adjust the point scanning style and speed.
Head Tracking: Adjust settings for head tracking and assign actions to facial expressions (on supported models).
Sound Effects: Turn on sound effects.
Speech: Speak items as they’re scanned.
Menu Items: Choose the actions shown in the Scanner Menu and the order in which they appear.
Group Items: Group items for faster navigation.
Large Cursor: Make the selection cursor larger.
Cursor Color: Choose a different color.
Saved Gestures: Create and save custom gestures to the Scanner Menu.
Confirm with Switch Control: On an iPad with Face ID, use Switch Control to confirm payments with Face ID instead of double-clicking the top button. Or on iPad (10th generation), iPad mini (6th generation), and iPad Air (4th generation and later), use Switch Control to confirm payments with your passcode instead of double-clicking the top button.
Turn Switch Control on or off
Important: Switch Control changes the gestures you use to control iPad.
To turn Switch Control on or off, use any of the following methods: