VoiceOver User Guide
- What’s new in VoiceOver
- Use VoiceOver in the login window
- Change function key behaviour
- Make VoiceOver ignore the next key press
- Learn or mute VoiceOver sound effects
- Hear hints and information
- Use positional audio
- Interact with areas and groups
- Hear progress or status changes
- Select and deselect items
- Drag and drop items
- Use cursor tracking
- Use VoiceOver Utility
- Change voice settings
- Customise verbosity
- Customise punctuation
- Change how VoiceOver pronounces text and symbols
- Change what the VoiceOver rotor shows
- Create custom labels for UI elements
- Export, import and reset VoiceOver preferences
- Use VoiceOver portable preferences
- Use VoiceOver activities
Change function key behaviour for VoiceOver on Mac
By default, to use a function key in a VoiceOver command, you must also press the Fn key. Depending on your Mac, you can change this default behaviour so that you don’t have to press the Fn key for VoiceOver commands.
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Keyboard , then click Keyboard.
Select the “Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys on external keyboards” tick box.
This option is available on only some Mac models.
Some keyboards have dedicated keys for Home, End, Page Up and Page Down. These are important VoiceOver navigation keys. If you use a keyboard that doesn’t have these keys, use the arrow keys with the Fn key for these actions.