Recommended system requirements
iCloud requires an Apple ID, an active Internet connection, and up to date software. If you meet the recommended system requirements below, you can take advantage of the latest iCloud features and get the best overall experience. To see the minimum requirements for each feature, you can review the minimum requirements table at the bottom of this page.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iOS 11
- iWork for iOS (Pages 2.5 or later, Numbers 2.5 or later, Keynote 2.5 or later)1
- macOS High Sierra
- iTunes 12.7
- Safari 9.1 or later, Firefox 45 or later, or Google Chrome 54 or later
- iWork for Mac (Pages 5.5 or later, Numbers 3.5 or later, Keynote 6.5 or later)1
- Microsoft Windows 10
- iCloud for Windows 7
- iTunes 12.7
- Outlook 2007 - Outlook 20162
- Microsoft Edge, Firefox 45 or later, or Google Chrome 54 or later (desktop mode only)
- Apple TV software 11.0 or later
Minimum system requirements by feature
To use iCloud, you need at least iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPad, or iPad mini; or at least OS X Lion 10.7.5 on a Mac.
Review this table for specific requirements of each iCloud feature.
|iCloud minimum requirements|
|Feature:||iPhone, iPad, iPod touch||Mac||Windows||Apple TV|
|Back to My Mac||—||OS X Lion 10.7.5||—||—|
|Backup and Restore||iOS 5||—||—||—|
|Calendar, Contacts, Mail||iOS 5||OS X Lion 10.7.5||
|Family Sharing5||iOS 8||
|Find My Friends||
|Find My iPhone||
|Find My iPhone app||iOS 8||—||—||—|
|iCloud Drive||iOS 8||OS X Yosemite||
|iCloud Photo Library||iOS 8.3||OS X Yosemite 10.10.3||—|
|iCloud Photo Sharing||iOS 7||
|iCloud Tabs||iOS 6||
|iTunes Match||iOS 5.0.1||iTunes 10.5.1||iTunes 10.5.1||tvOS 4.4|
|iWork for iCloud||—||
|Keychain 3||iOS 8.4.1||OS X Yosemite 10.10.5||—||—|
|Mail Drop (send attachments)||iOS 9.2||
|My Photo Stream||iOS 5.1||
|Notes (upgraded features)||iOS 9||macOS 10.11||—||—|
|Reading List||iOS 5||Safari 5.1||—||—|
|Two-factor authentication||iOS 9||OS X El Capitan||iCloud for Windows 5||—|
|Two-step verification 4||iOS 7||OS X Mavericks 10.9||—||—|
Some features aren't available in all countries and regions. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
- You can get iWork for iOS and iWork for Mac from the App Store if they didn't come with your iOS device or Mac.
- Outlook 2010 Personal Edition isn't supported.
- If you have two-factor authentication and you use iCloud Keychain, you need iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan.
- If you don’t meet the minimum system requirements, your data is still protected by two-step verification.
- To share iCloud storage with your family, you need iOS 11 or later, or macOS High Sierra or later. You can participate in a shared iCloud storage plan using iOS 8 or later, or OS X Yosemite or later.