iPad User Guide
- Supported models
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (6th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- What’s new in iPadOS 15
- Turn on and set up
- Wake and unlock
- Set up cellular service
- Connect to the internet
- Find settings
- Set up mail, contacts, and calendar accounts
- Learn the meaning of the status icons
- Download or bookmark the user guide
- Adjust the volume
- Drag and drop
- Access features from the Lock Screen
- Perform quick actions
- Search with iPad
- Use AirDrop to send items
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- Get information about your iPad
- View or change cellular data settings
- Travel with iPad
- Change or turn off sounds
- Change the wallpaper
- Adjust the screen brightness and color balance
- Magnify the screen
- Change the name of your iPad
- Change the date and time
- Change the language and region
- Use and customize Control Center
- Change or lock the screen orientation
- Set up FaceTime
- Create a FaceTime link
- Make and receive calls
- Take a Live Photo
- Use other apps during a call
- Make a Group FaceTime call
- View participants in a grid
- Use SharePlay to watch and listen together
- Share your screen
- Change the video settings
- Change the audio settings
- Add camera effects
- Leave a call or switch to Messages
- Block unwanted callers
- Adjust map settings
- Check your email
- Send email
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Reply to email
- Add attachments
- Work with attachments
- Save an email draft
- Search for email
- Organize your email
- Use Mail Privacy Protection on iPad
- Use Hide My Email
- Flag and filter emails
- Delete and recover emails
- Add a Mail widget to your Home Screen
- Print emails
- View maps
- Search for places
- Find nearby attractions, restaurants, and services
- Get information about places
- Mark places
- Share places
- Rate places
- Save favorite places
- Explore new places with Guides
- Organize places in My Guides
- Get traffic and weather info
- Delete significant locations
- Quickly find your Maps settings
- Set up Messages
- Send and receive messages
- Send a message to a group or business
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio
- Receive and share content
- Animate messages
- Use iMessage apps
- Use Memoji
- Send a Digital Touch effect
- Send and receive money with Apple Pay
- Change notifications
- Block, filter, and report messages
- Delete messages
- Get music
- View albums, playlists, and more
- Play music
- Queue up your music
- Listen to broadcast radio
- Listen to music with Apple Music Voice
- Change the way music sounds
- View photos and videos
- Play videos and slideshows
- Delete and hide photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Trim video length and adjust slow motion
- Edit Live Photos
- Edit Cinematic videos
- Edit Portrait mode photos
- Make photo albums
- Edit and organize albums
- Filter and sort photos in an album
- Search in Photos
- Share photos and videos
- View photos and videos shared with you
- Interact with photos using Live Text and Visual Look Up
- View Memories
- Personalize memories
- Find people in Photos
- Browse photos by location
- Use iCloud Photos
- Share photos with iCloud Shared Albums
- Import photos and videos
- Print photos
- Accessories included with iPad
- Use headphone audio-level features
- HomePod and other wireless speakers
- External storage devices
- Bluetooth accessories
- Apple Watch with Fitness+
- Cases and covers
- Share your internet connection
- Make and receive phone calls
- Use iPad as a second display for Mac
- Wirelessly stream video, photos, and audio to Mac
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Cut, copy, and paste between iPad and other devices
- Connect iPad and your computer with a cable
- Sync iPad with your computer
- Transfer files between iPad and your computer
- Get started with accessibility features
- Turn on and practice VoiceOver
- Change your VoiceOver settings
- Learn VoiceOver gestures
- Operate iPad using VoiceOver gestures
- Control VoiceOver using the rotor
- Use the onscreen keyboard
- Write with your finger
- Use VoiceOver with an Apple external keyboard
- Use a braille display
- Type onscreen braille
- Customize gestures and keyboard shortcuts
- Use VoiceOver with a pointer device
- Use VoiceOver for images and videos
- Use VoiceOver in apps
- Display & Text Size
- Spoken Content
- Audio Descriptions
- Use built-in security and privacy protections
Search and organize your notes in folders on iPad
In the Notes app , you can search all your notes for typed and handwritten text, objects that appear in images, and text in scanned documents. You can also organize your notes into folders and pin the important notes to the top of the list. You can also use tags to categorize your notes and find them later by filtering in the Tag Browser or creating a Smart Folder.
Create, rename, move, or delete a folder or subfolder
In the folders list, do any of the following:
Create a folder: Tap , choose an account (if you have more than one), tap New Folder, then enter a name.
Create a subfolder: Touch and hold a folder, then drag it onto another folder.
Rename a folder: Touch and hold a folder, tap Rename, then enter a new name.
Move a folder: Swipe left on the folder, tap , then choose a new location. Or touch and hold the folder, then drag it to a new location. The folder becomes a subfolder if you drag it onto another folder.
Delete a folder: Swipe left on the folder, then tap . Or touch and hold the folder, then tap Delete.
If you change your mind, open the Recently Deleted folder to recover the notes.
Tags are a fast and flexible way to categorize and organize your notes. You can add one or more tags, such as #shopping and #work, to easily search and filter your notes across your folders.
Add a tag: When you create or edit a note, type # followed by the tag name or choose a tag from the menu above the keyboard. A tag can be only one word, but you can use dashes and underscores to combine words. You can add multiple tags to a note.
View notes with tags: In the Tag Browser (below your folders), tap a tag or All Tags. To filter the list further, tap more tags at the top of the list.
Create a Smart Folder: Tap , choose an account (if you have more than one), tap New Smart Folder, enter a name, then select the tags. Or when viewing a list of tagged notes, tap (above the notes list), then tap Create Smart Folder.
Convert a folder to a Smart Folder: When viewing the folder you want to convert, tap (above the notes list), scroll to the bottom, then tap Convert to Smart Folder.
When you convert a folder, its notes are moved to the Notes folder and tagged with the name of the Smart Folder.
Note: You can’t convert a shared folder, a folder with a subfolder, or a folder that contains locked notes.
Edit a Smart Folder: Touch and hold a Smart Folder, then tap Edit Smart Folder. You can change the name or the tags shown.
Rename or delete a tag: In the Tag Browser (below your folders), touch and hold a tag, then tap Rename Tag or Delete Tag.
When you delete a tag, it’s also removed from all Smart Folders that use it.
Change the folder view and sort, move, pin, or delete notes
In a notes list, do any of the following:
Change the folder view: Tap , then choose View as Gallery or View as List.
Change the sort order of a folder: Tap , tap “Sort by,” then choose Date Edited, Date Created, or Title. To choose a default sorting method for all your folders, go to Settings > Notes > Sort Notes By.
Move a note to a different folder: Swipe left on the note, then tap . Or touch and hold the note, tap Move, then choose a folder.
Pin an important note to the top of the list: Touch and hold the note, then tap Pin Note. Or swipe right on the note, then tap the pin.
Delete a note: Swipe left on the note, then tap . Or touch and hold the note, then tap Delete.
If you change your mind, open the Recently Deleted folder to recover the note.
Search your notes
You can search for tags, typed and handwritten text, objects that appear in images, and text in scanned documents.
Swipe down on the notes list to reveal the search field.
Tap the search field, then enter what you’re looking for. You can also choose a suggested search, such as “Notes with Drawings,” then enter additional text to refine your search.
If a note is locked, only its title appears in the search results. The search includes handwritten text (in supported languages), photos, and scanned documents.
Search within a note for typed and handwritten text
Open the note you want to search.
Tap (at the top-right corner), then tap Find in Note.
Type the text you’re looking for in the search field.