Archived - About iPod Reset Utility
Use iPod Reset Utility to restore the following iPod models back to their factory settings when iTunes is unable to do so.
The process completely erases all music and data and reinstalls the iPod software version listed below:
- iPod shuffle (1st generation) - iPod Software version 1.1.5
- iPod shuffle (2nd generation) - iPod Software version 1.0.4
Note: iPod Reset Utility is intended for use only with the iPod models listed above; other iPods are not supported. If you are not sure which iPod you have, see Apple Identifying iPod models.
Use iPod Reset Utility to fix the following issues:
- iPod will not play music, and cannot be restored using iTunes.
- iPod is not recognized by iTunes, but is visible in My Computer or in Device Manager on a Windows PC, or in Apple System Profiler on a Mac.
- iPod shuffle (1st generation) is identified as a device in "Recovery mode." iPod shuffle (2nd generation) is identified as a "USB DFU device."
Important: Read Before Using
- You must have administrator privileges to use this utility.
- iPod Reset Utility restores your iPod to factory conditions and installs current iPod software for that model, deleting all content on iPod.
- If iPod Reset Utility cannot reset your iPod, then your iPod may need service. Go to the iPod Service page for additional information.
- Mac OS X 10.3.9, or later*
- Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4, Windows XP with Service Pack 2**
*Mac OS X 10.2.8 customers with an iPod shuffle (1st generation) can use the iPod shuffle Reset Utility.
**iPod Reset Utility is not supported for use with Windows Vista.
To install iPod Reset Utility:
- Download the iPod Reset Utility from one of the following location:
- Double-click iPodResetUtility.pkg (Mac) or iPodResetUtilitySetup.exe (Windows).
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
After installation is complete, iPod Reset Utility will be available on a Mac at /Applications/Utilities/iPod Reset Utility or on Windows by choosing Start > Programs > iPod > iPod Reset Utility.
Using iPod Reset Utility
- Quit all running applications on your computer.
- Open iPod Reset Utility.
- Connect iPod to a USB port on your computer. Do not connect iPod to a USB port on your keyboard, or other non-powered USB hub.
- Click the Reset button.
- If prompted, enter an administrator name and password. Note: Do not disconnect iPod during the reset process.
- When complete, quit iPod Reset Utility and open iTunes to load music onto iPod.