Check your Internet connection
Make sure that you have an active Internet connection.
Check your Apple ID
Make sure that you're using a valid Apple ID at My Apple ID. You can also create an Apple ID or reset your password from My Apple ID. You should also check these things while you're signed in:
- Make sure that the email address for your Apple ID has been verified.
- Check your email address:
- Check the spelling of the email address.
- Make sure that all letters are lower case.
- Make sure that special characters are correct (for example, no commas (,) where there should be full stops (.)).
Note: You might experience issues if your email address is associated with more than one Apple ID. If you have multiple Apple IDs, log in to My Apple ID with each Apple ID and confirm that each email address you wish to use for FaceTime or Messages is associated with only a single Apple ID.
Set up an app-specific password
- Go to My Apple ID.
- Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in.
- Select Password and Security.
- Click Generate an App-Specific Password and follow the steps on your screen.
After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the Apple ID password field in iMessage or FaceTime settings.
Check your settings
Make sure the date, time, and time zone are set correctly in Apple menu > System Preferences > Date & Time. You can also select "Set date and time automatically" to automatically keep this information accurate.
If third-party firewall or port filtering software is installed, it needs to be configured to allow connections to apple.com, verisign.com and verisign.net. See the list of ports required to use FaceTime and Messages and get help using FaceTime and iMessage behind a firewall.
If your /private/etc/hosts file has been modified, make sure that it isn't interfering with communications to apple.com, verisign.com, or verisign.net servers. Some third-party software installers may modify the /private/etc/hosts file without alerting you. Get help resolving issues with a /private/etc/hosts file using the "Blocked by configuration" steps.