Transfer a Suica card to Apple Pay on your iPhone
You can transfer your existing Suica or My Suica card to Apple Pay in the Wallet app.1 You can also create a new Suica and add it to Wallet within the Suica app. You cannot add Pasmo or other transit cards to Apple Pay.
Here’s what you need to transfer a plastic Suica card to your iPhone:2
- An iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus purchased in Japan (model A1779 and A1785)
- An iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus
- An iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max
- The latest version of iOS
- Device region set to Japan
- A plastic Suica, My Suica, or Commuter Suica Card
To transfer your card:
- Open the Wallet app and tap the plus sign.
- Tap Next, and then tap Suica. To see how it works, watch the demo.
- Follow the steps to transfer your Suica card to your iPhone. Verify the last four digits of the card number.
Your birthdate is required only if you're adding a My Suica card or Commuter Suica card to Apple Pay. Use the same date of birth that you entered when you purchased your plastic Suica card. Tap Next.
- Rest the top of your iPhone on the middle of the Suica card. Leave it on the card without moving it. This process could take a few minutes to complete.
Then, start using Suica on your iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max. Your plastic Suica card will no longer be usable. Your 500 Yen Suica card deposit will be added to your Suica balance in Apple Pay.
Add a Suica card to your Apple Watch
Here's what you need to transfer a plastic Suica card to your Apple Watch:1,2
- An Apple Watch Series 2 (purchased in Japan), Apple Watch Series 3, or Apple Watch Series 4
- An iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus (purchased in Japan), iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max3
- The latest version of watchOS
To transfer a plastic Suica card to your Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Follow the steps to transfer the card.
You can also create a new Suica and add it to your Apple Watch:
- Open the Suica app on your iPhone 5 or later.
- Follow the instructions to create a new card and transfer it to your Apple Watch Series 2, Apple Watch Series 3, or Apple Watch Series 4.
- Start using Suica.
Unlike credit and prepaid cards in Apple Pay, Suica cards can exist on only one device at a time.
Move your Suica card from your iPhone to your Apple Watch
To move your Suica from your iPhone to your Apple Watch:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Scroll down to the Suica card that you want to move to your Apple Watch. Then, tap the Add button next to the card.
You can use the Watch App to move your Suica card back to your iPhone. You can't move your Suica card during a transit journey.
After you transfer your Suica card to Apple Pay, you can't use the plastic card. After you add a Suica card to your iPhone or Apple Watch, you can use Apple Pay in transit and in stores that accept Suica. The first Suica card that you add to Apple Pay is your Express Transit card, which allows you to use Suica without Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode. Simply hold your iPhone or Apple Watch next to the reader. You don't have to wake the device or open the app.
Get help changing your Express Transit card.
- Apple Pay isn't available for children under 13. Age varies by country or region.
- Make sure that you sign in to iCloud on all your devices. On your iOS device, you need to set up Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode. If you turn off your passcode, all credit, prepaid, and Suica cards are removed from that device. On your Apple Watch, you need to set up a passcode. If you remove your passcode or sign out of iCloud, all credit, prepaid, and Suica cards are removed from your Apple Watch. When you remove a Suica card from any device, the remaining balance will be stored and available to be transferred to the same or another iPhone or Apple Watch that is signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID.
- If you don't have an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus purchased in Japan, or an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max, you can still add a Suica by creating a new Suica in the Suica app.