Make sure that you can add a card
Check Apple Pay on the System Status page. If there's an issue, try again after it's resolved. If there isn't an issue, make sure that you're using a supported device:
- iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus purchased in Japan (ride transit and pay in stores, apps, and on the web in Safari)
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max
- Apple Watch Series 2 purchased in Japan and paired with an iPhone (ride transit and pay in stores and apps)
- Apple Watch Series 3 or Apple Watch Series 4
Try to add a Suica card
After each step, see if you can add your Suica card to Apple Pay:
- Check that the country or region on your device is set to Japan.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Language & Region, then scroll to Region.
- For your Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone. Then, go to the My Watch tab, tap General > Language & Region, and check your Region Format.
- Your birthdate is required only if you're trying to add a My Suica or Commuter Suica card to Apple Pay. Use the same date of birth that you entered when you purchased your plastic Suica card.
- Make sure that your plastic Suica card is resting on a flat non-metallic surface. Rest the top of your iPhone on the middle of the Suica card. Keep it there until the transfer completes, which can take up to a minute. It might also help to hold your Suica card and iPhone in your hand.
- Make sure that the value on your Suica card doesn't exceed 19500 Yen.
- You can add a credit card with a Suica balance by tapping Credit or Prepaid Card in Wallet. Only the credit card will be added to Apple Pay. The Suica card cannot be added, and the balance of the Suica card remains on the plastic credit card.
- Certain Suica cards (like Student Commuter Suica cards) might need to be verified before you can add them to Apple Pay. For additional functionality of Suica cards in Apple Pay, download and register within the Suica app on your iPhone.
- Restart your iPhone or Apple Watch.
- Update to the latest version of iOS or watchOS.
My Suica and Commuter Suica cards that use romaji names or international phone numbers are not supported. Pasmo and other transit cards are not supported.
If you are trying to add a second Suica card to Apple Pay, make sure the name on the second card matches the first name on your My Suica and Commuter Suica card. If you have different names on multiple cards, download and register in the iOS Suica app, and call Suica Support at 050-2016-5005.
From 12:30 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. daily, many Suica functionalities aren't available to customers. This includes adding cards, adding money to Suica cards, and suspending and removing cards from Find My iPhone and iCloud.com.