What's in the box?
In the box, you'll find:
- Your new Apple Pencil
- A Lightning adapter
- An extra tip
Pair your Apple Pencil with your iPad Pro
The first time you use your Apple Pencil, take off its cap and plug it into the Lightning connector on your iPad Pro.
After a few seconds, you'll see the Pair button. Tap it.
After you pair your Apple Pencil, it will stay paired until you restart your iPad, turn on airplane mode, or pair with another iPad Pro. Just pair your Apple Pencil again when you're ready to use it.
Apple Pencil works only with iPad Pro.
Draw, paint, and more with Apple Pencil
You can use Apple Pencil with built-in apps and apps from the App Store.
With some apps, you can draw with Apple Pencil. When you draw, you can tilt Apple Pencil to shade your line and press more firmly to widen your line. Here's how to draw with Notes:
- Open Notes.
- Tap .
- Tap . If you don't see , upgrade your notes.
- Start drawing. Choose from several drawing tools and colors. Switch to the eraser if you make a mistake.
If you draw near the edge of the screen with your Apple Pencil, iOS won't activate Control Center, Notification Center, or Multitasking. You can draw anywhere on the screen without getting interrupted.
Charge your Apple Pencil
For fast charging, plug your Apple Pencil into the Lightning connector on your iPad Pro. If the battery runs out, you can charge it from your iPad Pro for 15 seconds and get 30 minutes of use.*
You can also plug Apple Pencil into a USB port with the Apple Pencil Charging Adapter and a Lightning to USB cable.
To see how much charge your Apple Pencil has left, check the Widgets view in Notifications on your iPad Pro.
Replace the tip
If the tip of your Apple Pencil becomes worn or damaged, replace it. There's an extra tip in the box, and you can buy more if you need to. Just unscrew the tip and screw in the new one.
If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad Pro
- Restart your iPad Pro, then try to pair again.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
- On the same screen, look under My Devices for your Apple Pencil. If you see it, tap . Then tap Forget this Device.
- Plug your Apple Pencil into your iPad Pro and tap the Pair button when it appears after a few seconds.
- If you don't see the Pair button, wait for one minute while your Apple Pencil charges. Then unplug your Apple Pencil, plug it back in, and wait until you see the Pair button.
- If you still don’t see the Pair button, contact Apple Support.
* Testing conducted by Apple in September 2015 using preproduction Apple Pencil and iPad Pro units and software. Fast Charge testing conducted with drained Apple Pencil units that were charged for 15 seconds using fully charged iPad Pro units. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Charge time starts when charging indicator for Apple Pencil appears in the Notification Center battery widget.