Content types supported by the Caching service
macOS Server includes built-in support for caching the following software.
iTunes and iBooks
- iTunes 11.0.4 and later (OS X and Windows versions)
- iOS app purchases and app updates*
- iBooks Store content (iOS 6 and later, and OS X Mavericks and later)
*iOS updates downloaded using iTunes are not cached. iOS updates delivered "over the air" are cached instead.
- macOS updates
- Mac App Store (OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 or later is recommended)
- Other software updates distributed by Apple (including updates to iTunes for macOS and printer drivers)
- GarageBand downloadable content
- Third-party apps from the Mac App Store and their updates
- iCloud data caching (photos and documents) for OS X El Capitan v10.11 and later
iOS 7 and later and Apple TV
- iOS updates (over the air)
- Apple TV updates (over the air)
- iOS apps, Apple TV apps, and app updates
- On-demand resources support for iOS 10 and later and tvOS 10 and later.
- iCloud data caching (photos and documents) for iOS 9 and later
- iTunes U course materials from the iOS App Store and iBooks Store, as well as uploaded instructor materials such as audio, video, iWork, and iBooks Author files
- Certain mobile assets, such as Siri high quality voices, language dictionaries, and more
Country and region restrictions
- Not all content is cached in all regions.
- As of December 2013, iTunes downloads are not cached in Brazil, Mexico, China, or Portugal. iBooks downloads are not cached in Canada.
- iTunes downloads might not be cached if a client's IP address isn't associated with your iTunes Store region.
Learn more about the Caching service.