Before you sync
Make sure that you have:
- An Apple ID.
- An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 or later.
- A Mac or PC with iTunes 11.2 or later.
- An Apple TV with Apple TV software version 6.0 or later.
Sign in to all computers or iOS devices with the same Apple ID.
Learn more about what syncs.
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > Podcasts.
- Tap to turn Sync Podcasts on or off.
Mac or PC
- Open iTunes.
- Choose iTunes > Preferences, then click the Store tab.
- Select "Sync podcast subscriptions and settings."
If you sync podcast subscriptions, the latest episode of each podcast you're subscribed to will download. Previous episodes won't download. If you download other episodes for a subscription on a device, they won't automatically download to your other devices. See how to transfer episodes and playlists.
If you unsubscribe from a podcast on a device, all of your other devices will also unsubscribe to that podcast. If you subscribe to that podcast again, all of your other devices will
also subscribe again.
If you delete a podcast on your iOS device, iTunes on your computer will show the message "This podcast has been deleted from another device, but has saved episodes."
If you click Resolve, the message "Do you want to delete or restore syncing of the podcast?" appears.
- If you want to keep any episodes that you saved on your computer, click Restore Sync. The subscription will sync back to your other devices.
- If you want to delete the podcast and all of its episodes, click Delete. If you delete a podcast subscription on your computer, it will delete the subscription on your iOS devices, including downloaded episodes (unless they're marked as Saved).
When you create a station in iTunes on your computer or in the Podcasts app, it will appear on your other devices. Any station settings you change will also sync to your devices. If you delete a station on one of your devices, it’ll also delete from every other device.
Podcasts can remember your playback position between devices and computers, so you can always start where you left off. If Sync Podcasts is on for your iOS device, playback position will sync. However, you might need to turn on this setting in iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Select iTunes > Preferences.
- Click the Store tab.
- Select "Sync playback information across devices." It might take a few minutes to sync.
Transfer episodes and playlists
Past episodes of a podcast that you subscribed to on one device won't automatically download to your other devices. If want to play a past episode on a device that the episode isn't downloaded to, download it from the catalog of podcasts.
Some podcast providers don't make their entire back catalog of episodes available. If you want back episodes of a podcast on your iOS device, and you have a copy in iTunes on your computer, you can transfer it to your device using a cable or Wi-Fi sync.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer.
- Locate and click on your device.
- Under Settings in the sidebar, click Podcasts.
- If it's not already checked, click the box next to Sync Podcasts.
- Click the box next to "Automatically include" and then choose which downloaded podcasts should appear on your iOS devices from the pop-up menu.
- To sync a playlist of podcasts to your iOS devices, select it under "Include Episodes from Playlists." The playlist will appear in My Stations in the Podcasts app for iOS.
- Click Sync.