If you see a red exclamation point
If you try to send a message and you see with an alert saying Not Delivered, follow these steps. After each step, see if you still need help:
If you see an alert that says Waiting for activation
If you see an alert in Settings > Messages that says Waiting for activation, learn what to do.
If your contacts see your email instead of your phone number when you send messages
Sign out of iMessage and FaceTime, then sign back in:
- Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
- Go to Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
- On your iPhone first, sign back in to iMessage and FaceTime.
- Sign back in to iMessage and FaceTime on your other devices.
If your messages aren't sending, or you aren't getting messages
Check your contact information:
- Make sure that you're using the right phone number or email address for the contact.
- Go to Settings > Messages > Blocked and make sure that the contact isn't on your block list.
If messages won't send to a certain person or you need help with group messages
Sometimes your messages won't send to a particular contact, or you might have issues with group messages. For example, you might reply to a group conversation and receive your own message. Or you might get a new phone number and see your old one listed as a recipient in an existing group conversation.
Delete the conversation* that has the issue and start a new conversation:
- Open Messages and look at your list of conversations.
- Swipe from right to left on the conversation you want to delete. Then tap Delete.
- Open Messages, tap , and enter the phone number or email address of your contact or contacts.
- Write a new message and tap send.
*When you delete a conversation, you won’t be able to recover it. If you want to save parts of conversations or their attachments, you can take screenshots. You can also touch and hold an attachment or message bubble, then tap More > Save.
Restart your device and check for updates
Get more help
FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.