Set a passcode on your iOS device to help protect your data. Each time you turn on or wake your device, you'll need to unlock it with your passcode. If your device supports Touch ID, you can use your fingerprint instead of a passcode.
Here's when you'll enter your passcode:
- Turn on or restart your device
- Slide to unlock your screen (you can change this)
- Update your software
- Erase your device
Set your passcode
- Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. On devices without Touch ID, go to Settings > Passcode:
- Tap Turn Passcode On.
- Enter a six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.
- Enter your passcode again to confirm it and activate it.
Change your passcode or passcode settings
To change your passcode or passcode settings, go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. On devices without Touch ID, go to Settings > Passcode.
You'll find several settings and options:
- Turn Passcode Off.
- Change your passcode. Enter a new, six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.
- Require Passcode—Immediately: By default, as soon as you lock your screen, you'll need to enter your passcode to unlock it. If you don't want to need your passcode immediately, change this setting.
- Allow Access When Locked: Allow access to some features when your device is locked, including Notifications View, Siri, and Control Center.
- Erase Data: Choose whether to erase your device automatically after ten failed passcode attempts.
Can’t turn off your passcode or change passcode settings?
Passcode settings might be unavailable, gray, or dimmed. If you can't change these settings, it might be because you're using a configuration profile that requires a passcode. This is common with business or education devices. Contact your IT administrator for more information.
Forget your passcode?
If you or someone else enters the wrong passcode too many times, your device will disable itself temporarily. Get help if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled.
Learn what to do if you forgot your Restrictions passcode.