HD videos feature a higher-quality picture than standard definition (SD) videos.
To buy, rent, download, and watch HD content from the iTunes Store on your computer, make sure that you have these things:
- The latest version of iTunes.
- Components that support HDCP installed on your computer.
- A display that supports HDCP with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher with a digital connection (DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI).
HD content is offered in either 720p or 1080p. See if your device can play 720p or 1080p videos.
By default, when you buy HD content from iTunes, it downloads and plays content in 720p. If you want to download and play content in 1080p, change your settings.
Download and play content in 1080p
- Open iTunes
- Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
PC: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.
- Click the Downloads tab.
- Select "Download full-size HD videos."
- Click OK.
The next time that you purchase and download a video from the iTunes Store that's available in 1080p, it downloads in 1080p.
Depending on your computer, you might not be able to buy, rent, or play content in 1080p. If you see a message that reads "This computer may not be able to play 1080p videos. You can still download these videos for use on other devices," 1080p content won't play on your computer.
If you can't download and play HD content
If your device or computer doesn't support HD videos, you can download SD video instead. To download the SD version:
- Open iTunes.
- If you’re not signed in, sign in with your Apple ID.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Account > Purchased. If you're a member of a Family Sharing group, you might see Family Purchases instead of Purchased.
- Depending on what you want to redownload, click Movies or TV Shows in the upper-right corner of the iTunes window.
- Click "Not in My Library" to view purchased content that isn't on your computer.
- At the bottom if the iTunes window, deselect Download HD When Available.
- Find the movie or TV show that you want to download, then click in the upper-right corner. The movie or TV show downloads to your library.
Learn more about downloading past purchases.