- Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
- If you're using an Apple device that's not an iPhone, make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with your Apple ID.
If you don’t have an iPhone, you can only send group messages to other Apple devices that are signed in to iMessage.
Types of group messages
The Messages app automatically chooses the type of group message to send based on your settings, network connection, carrier plan, and the recipients’ carrier plan. For example:
- If you and your recipients are using Apple devices, then the group message is sent as an iMessage.
- If you send a group message to people who are not using iMessage, then the message is sent as an MMS or SMS message.
Here are 3 types of group messages you might see:
These messages appear in blue text bubbles, go through Apple instead of your carrier, and are protected by end-to-end encryption. Everyone can send and receive photos, videos, and audio messages, and respond and see the thread of messages.
These messages appear in green text bubbles and go through your carrier instead of Apple. Everyone can send and receive photos and videos, and respond and see the thread of messages.
These messages also appear in green text bubbles and go through your carrier. Group SMS messages don’t support multimedia attachments, like photos or videos. Also, when you send a Group SMS, all responses are sent as individual text messages and the recipients can’t see the other responses from the group.
Send a group message
- Open Messages and tap to start a new conversation.
- Enter the recipients' names or tap to add contacts.
- Enter your message, then tap Send.
To send a group MMS message on an iPhone, make sure MMS Messaging is turned on. Go to Settings > Messages and tap MMS Messaging. If you don't see an option to turn on MMS Messaging or Group Messaging on your iPhone, contact your carrier.
There are no read receipts in group messages.
Name your group conversation
Have multiple group iMessages? Give your group iMessage a name to make them easier to find.
Name your group:
- Tap the group conversation, then tap Details.
- Swipe down from the middle of your screen to reveal the Group Name field.
- Enter a Group Name, then tap Done.
Add or remove someone from a group conversation
Anyone in a group iMessage can add or remove someone from the conversation. You can remove a person from a group iMessage that has at least three other people.
Add a person
- Tap the group conversation you want to add someone to.
- Tap Details, then tap Add Contact.
- Enter the contact information for the person you want to add. Then tap Done.
Remove a person
- Tap the group conversation that has the contact you want to remove.
- Tap Details, then swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
- Tap Delete.
You can’t add or remove people from group MMS messages or group SMS messages.
Are you receiving too many notifications from your group? If you don’t want to leave a conversation, you can mute it:
- Open Messages and tap a conversation.
- Tap Details.
- Turn on Do Not Disturb.
When Do Not Disturb is on, will appear next to the conversation. This stops notifications only for that message conversation, not your device. You’ll still receive all other messages and see notifications for them on your Lock screen.
You can only use Do Not Disturb with iMessage and MMS messages.
Leave a group conversation
To leave a conversation, tap Details, then tap Leave this Conversation. If you don't see Leave this Conversation on your iOS device, get the latest version of iOS.
You can only leave group iMessages that have at least three other people.
- Learn more about Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Have a Mac? Learn how to use Messages on your Mac.
- Learn what to do if you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.